Macafee informed me I had a 'Downloader-VS' trojan, that it could not delete.
Using the 'Command Box' I tried to delete it but get 'Disk is write
protected' message( drive C:). I remember in the old days when one could boot
up in DOS and access the hard disk that way. I bet other have had this
thought. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Malke

Ben in Montana wrote:

> Macafee informed me I had a 'Downloader-VS' trojan, that it could not
> delete. Using the 'Command Box' I tried to delete it but get 'Disk is
> write protected' message( drive C:). I remember in the old days when
> one could boot
> up in DOS and access the hard disk that way. I bet other have had
> this thought. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You cannot boot to DOS in an XP system because there is no DOS. Go into
Safe Mode and delete the file there. Here are general malware removal
steps, which include directions for getting into Safe Mode:

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

http://www.bootdisk.com/

regards, Richard

RJK wrote:

> http://www.bootdisk.com/
>
> regards, Richard

And what good is that going to do the OP? Unless he set up a dual boot
system there is no DOS in XP for him to boot into. Also, even if he has
a dual-boot system with an older MS OS, if XP is formatted NTFS he
won't be able to see those files from DOS without special tools.

All he needs to do is go into Safe Mode and delete the file there.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Thanks to all. Restart and F8 then deleted it all from the 'DOS type' window.
Ran a scan from Trend Micro and nothing reported. So thanks again folks.
Ben