Is there a way to report what files have been changed in a..

Hi all,

I want to do some sort of auditing of our network with regards to what files
have been deleted / moved / added over a given period.

Can I somehow keep a synchronised copy on another server and then once a
week run a job to synchronise the two folders (one way synchronisation from
Server1 to Server2- not vice versa). I would at the same time like to get a
report showing what changed from one week to the other, clear as mud :)

if anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be fantastic.

cheers,

Adam

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eIDHPUwoFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
acs68 <adamst@NOSPAMlaidley.qld.gov.au> had this to say:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to do some sort of auditing of our network with regards to
> what files have been deleted / moved / added over a given period.
>
> Can I somehow keep a synchronised copy on another server and then
> once a week run a job to synchronise the two folders (one way
> synchronisation from Server1 to Server2- not vice versa). I would at
> the same time like to get a report showing what changed from one week
> to the other, clear as mud :)
> if anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be fantastic.
>
> cheers,
>
> Adam

It's coming...

Microsoft Data Protection Manager:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/dpm/default.mspx

See also here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/dpm/proddocs/usinrepo.mspx

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

acs68 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to do some sort of auditing of our network with regards to what files
> have been deleted / moved / added over a given period.

On the file server, enabling file/folder auditing is an option:

How To Set, View, Change, or Remove Auditing for a File or Folder
in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301640

> Can I somehow keep a synchronised copy on another server and then once a
> week run a job to synchronise the two folders (one way synchronisation from
> Server1 to Server2- not vice versa). I would at the same time like to get a
> report showing what changed from one week to the other, clear as mud :)

The command line tool Robocopy.exe supports both.

Robocopy.exe is in the free Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

(The kit will install on WinXP or later, the individual files can
then be copied to another computer if needed)

See rktools.chm and robocopy.doc for documentation for Robocopy.exe.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

TRENDING THREADS