'Reboot and select proper boot device' ??

madmumm

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I received a new tower the other day and after a minor cable confusion, hooked it up last night to an old monitor (The Long Story is, the pc arrived much faster than expected so the new monitor isn't here yet! Decided to hook it up to check it worked so I could give feedback, as I bought it from one of e-bay's highly rated top sellers)

Spec is
Intel I5 Ivy Bridge 3450 3.10ghz CPU
Asus P8z77-V LX Motherboard
1 TB Serial ATA Hard Drive
16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz patriot Viper Memory
Nvidia GTX 650 TI 1 GB PCI-E Graphics Card With HDMI
Windows 7

As you can imagine, I was pretty gutted to get an error message:
*Reboot and select proper boot device
or Insert Boot Media into selected Boot device and press a key*

Does that sound like it might have had a connection come adrift in transit to you? It's obviously not seeing anything to boot up from? I'm stabbing in the dark here: my knowledge of computers is pretty limited!
Any clues or ideas would be much appreciated. I'm hoping it's something simple that I could agree with the seller to try to fix myself rather than send it all the way back and have to wait for a new one to be sent out :(

Thanks for reading :)

madmumm

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I contacted the seller, who OK'd it for me to go into the case and investigate further. Turns out the lead to the HD power was not only dc'd, but the HD itself had been somehow knocked out of place in transit, and was on the floor of the case in the bay there! Whether customs broke it somehow, or it was mis-handled in transit somewhere along the line, we'll never know.
Only 2 fittings were found - 1 in the case, 1 on the HD. I didnt look in the front of the case as they can be tricky to put back on for a beginner, so one of the screws may be in there.
I put it back together with 2 just to test it and lo and behold, windows!! It needed a start-up repair and seems to be fine now!