Sign in with
Your question

Is it more worth getting an LED monitor over a lcd monitor?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 19, 2010 3:09:45 PM

So I wanted to spend around 200$ dallors and I have heard great reviews about Led monitors so I was more leaning to them and I found 2 that I liked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L16KW8/ref=asc_df_B002L16K...

I was just wondering if its more worth getting an led screen over Lcd. If not is there like anyway to tell between crapy lcd screens and good lcds? Cause some have 1,000,000:1 and some have 10,000:1 but they look basically the same. Thanks! ;) 
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 19, 2010 4:41:20 PM

The LED backlight is likely to outlast regular ones which use fluorescent tubes and the illumination is likely to be more evenly distributed.
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2010 1:26:04 AM

Actually the distribution is about the same. The entire back of the monitor isn't lined with LEDs. There are spaces between each LED and it simply goes through a screen to even out the light.

LEDs produce better whites.
Use less power (less hot)
Also outlast CCFLs but that isn't a concern since people won't keep these things for 10 years.

That one you selected is on sale so ya go for it. Otherwise don't get it if it was at regular price. I got one and it really isn't that good.
Related resources
a c 193 C Monitor
March 21, 2010 4:47:01 AM

Due to the fact that all LED backlit LCD monitors are edge lit instead of having a full backlight array the backlight will not be as evenly distributed as traditional florescent backlit LCD monitors.

LED by default does not produce better white than florescent; however they do reach their optimal "white point" sooner than florescent backlight since florescent needs a little time to "warm up".

LED backlight can last longer than florescent backlight; however I've been using my Planar PX191 continuously from 2002 to 2009 for on average 6 - 7 hours per day.

Dynamic contrast ratios are those outrageous 10:000:1 thru something like 2,000,000:1 is basically crap. It is batter to look at static contrast ratio which is typically from 700:1 to 1000:1.

The difference between bad and good LCD depends on your own point of view. For me the difference between good and crap LCD is color accuracy and viewing angles. Monitors built around TN panels like what the OP is looking at is crap in my opinion, They have poor color reproduction and poor viewing angles compare to higher end PVA/MVA and IPS monitors.

PVA/MVA and IPS costs more than TN panel monitors due to higher quality. However, TN panel monitors are geared towards the average user to is looking for the best bang for the buck and don't really that there are better quality monitors which can cost a lot more depending on how higher the "food chain" you want to go.
April 2, 2010 5:24:24 AM

Quote:
Dynamic contrast ratios are those outrageous 10:000:1 thru something like 2,000,000:1 is basically crap. It is batter to look at static contrast ratio which is typically from 700:1 to 1000:1.

exactly, but who wants to spend upwards to $1000 on a monitor when the average user's budget is bewteen $200-300 for something thats far more suitable for todays common games.
a b C Monitor
April 4, 2010 1:02:32 AM

You can't get monitors with higher than 1000:1 static contrast even if you shelled out money.

Actually $200-$300 average LCDs would have 1000:1 except they like to advertise bigger numbers even though dynamic contrast is crap.
April 7, 2010 10:44:11 AM

jaguarskx is correct, it's pretty much the same thing, LED and standard florecent (LCD), as they are both 'backlit' and not distributed throughout. But one LED that I've been looking at is new the BenQ V series, it comes in 24 and 22 inch sizes. They are extremely thin and offer Full HD resolution. I'm waiting anxiously for these to hit the markets!

When I look at monitors I pay attention to a few things. Viewing angles don't matter to me because they don't affect me, I think standard TN panels produce colors for me to accept, once again it really is based on preference. But yeah the main things I look for are:
Aspect Ratio (16:9, 16:10, 4:3, so on)
Response time (5ms, 2ms, etc)
Connectivity (audio in/out, D-sub/DVI/HDMI, USB, etc)
LED/LCD
And most importantly, price = )
!