Hi All,
My wonderfull supplier has shipped me a full version of XP Pro SP2 (OEM)
instead of the Upgrade I ordered - Before I open it or return it, does
anyone know if I can actually upgrade from a full version?
I'm supposed to be out on site tomorrow morning doing this upgrade, but
won't now get the software in time if I have to return it and re-order.

Thanks and Regards
Mark

An OEM version of Windows XP does not have the ability to
upgrade over an existing Windows installation. It must be
installed "clean" on a reformatted drive or partition.

Only a "Retail Version" of Windows XP can perform an
actual "upgrade".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mark Griffiths" wrote:

| Hi All,
| My wonderfull supplier has shipped me a full version of XP Pro SP2 (OEM)
| instead of the Upgrade I ordered - Before I open it or return it, does
| anyone know if I can actually upgrade from a full version?
| I'm supposed to be out on site tomorrow morning doing this upgrade, but
| won't now get the software in time if I have to return it and re-order.
|
| Thanks and Regards
| Mark

Savage

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004

Direct answer to your question is : yes full version can do an upgrade.

However if you have a OEM recovery disk , take it back and get what you paid
for.

The honest thing to do would be to confirm with the people you purchased
that they gave you the right package.
Could be wrong but I'm sure there are conditions to sell an OEM package with
hardware... and there most definitely is a price diff between an OEM and a
retail upgrade package...

--
________
NIC

"Mark Griffiths" wrote:

> Hi All,
> My wonderfull supplier has shipped me a full version of XP Pro SP2 (OEM)
> instead of the Upgrade I ordered - Before I open it or return it, does
> anyone know if I can actually upgrade from a full version?
> I'm supposed to be out on site tomorrow morning doing this upgrade, but
> won't now get the software in time if I have to return it and re-order.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Mark

Hi,

A full OEM version is for clean installations only. Upgrades can only be
done with retail disks.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mark Griffiths" <mark.griffiths687@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> My wonderfull supplier has shipped me a full version of XP Pro SP2 (OEM)
> instead of the Upgrade I ordered - Before I open it or return it, does
> anyone know if I can actually upgrade from a full version?
> I'm supposed to be out on site tomorrow morning doing this upgrade, but
> won't now get the software in time if I have to return it and re-order.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Mark

Also Volume Licensing versions will accomplish an upgrade.

> An OEM version of Windows XP does not have the ability to
> upgrade over an existing Windows installation. It must be
> installed "clean" on a reformatted drive or partition.
>
> Only a "Retail Version" of Windows XP can perform an
> actual "upgrade".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mark Griffiths" wrote:
>
> | Hi All,
> | My wonderfull supplier has shipped me a full version of XP Pro SP2 (OEM)
> | instead of the Upgrade I ordered - Before I open it or return it, does
> | anyone know if I can actually upgrade from a full version?
> | I'm supposed to be out on site tomorrow morning doing this upgrade, but
> | won't now get the software in time if I have to return it and re-order.
> |
> | Thanks and Regards
> | Mark

Savage

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A full OEM version is for clean installations only. Upgrades can only be
> done with retail disks.

- Don't mean to argue , but since about 2 years ago , most OEM disks have
the ability to run a repair installation ( which in effect is an upgrade.) ,
sure it might be agains the license agreement I'm sure.

OEM Recovery disks are the most painful, since they impliment a full drive
image, thus they format your machine to do so.

Rick please verify ? If you were referring to the disk functionality or the
actual legal implications ?

Hmm never did try an in-place upgrade with an OEM disk , Rick could be right
about that , since I always boot from the disks and force me way thru.
--
________
NIC

Ture, but you need to already have an installed version of XP. If XP is not
installed, then I do not believe that the repair re-install would work.

"Savage" <Savage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A full OEM version is for clean installations only. Upgrades can only be
>> done with retail disks.
>
> - Don't mean to argue , but since about 2 years ago , most OEM disks have
> the ability to run a repair installation ( which in effect is an upgrade.)
> ,
> sure it might be agains the license agreement I'm sure.
>
> OEM Recovery disks are the most painful, since they impliment a full drive
> image, thus they format your machine to do so.
>
> Rick please verify ? If you were referring to the disk functionality or
> the
> actual legal implications ?
>
> Hmm never did try an in-place upgrade with an OEM disk , Rick could be
> right
> about that , since I always boot from the disks and force me way thru.
> --
> ________
> NIC
> ----------
> Savage
> ________

Thanks Everyone for the feedback - I'll take it then that I get the
originally requested upgrade and postpone the visit until I get it.

Regards
Mark

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Also Volume Licensing versions will accomplish an upgrade.

>> An OEM version of Windows XP does not have the ability to
>> upgrade over an existing Windows installation. It must be
>> installed "clean" on a reformatted drive or partition.
>>
>> Only a "Retail Version" of Windows XP can perform an
>> actual "upgrade".
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Mark Griffiths" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi All,
>> | My wonderfull supplier has shipped me a full version of XP Pro SP2
>> (OEM)
>> | instead of the Upgrade I ordered - Before I open it or return it, does
>> | anyone know if I can actually upgrade from a full version?
>> | I'm supposed to be out on site tomorrow morning doing this upgrade, but
>> | won't now get the software in time if I have to return it and re-order.
>> |
>> | Thanks and Regards
>> | Mark

Hi,

You are confusing a generic OEM disk and a Recovery disk with a regular
retail CD. The generic disk is just like the retail, and can be used to
repair an existing installation that was created with that disk. A recovery
disk is just a 'wipe and reload' sort of thing, repairs are not available.
Neither can do a *real* upgrade from a qualifying previous Win version,
including Home->Pro. For that you need either a) a retail version or b) a
manufacturer-specific upgrade disk (supplied only by the system builder).