SP2's new firewall and MN700

I have traditionaly left the windows firewall turned off, since the MN
700 has a built in firewall. But SP2's new security center warns "that
(my) computer not currently protected by a firewall". Does Windows not
detect external firewalls, should I be running both firewalls, or am I
simply not protected at all? I am running the SP2 RTM and the latest
firmware for the MN700.
2 answers Last reply
More about firewall mn700

    The MN700 firewall will protect you from external attacks launched from the
    Internet. However, it won't protect you from attacks within your own
    network (example, if another computer on your network gets infected with
    (for example) Blaster, the virus will still spread inside your network as
    the infection point is within your network..... the MN700 firewall won't
    protect you from this, however the Windows XP SP2 firewall will).

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    > The MN700 firewall will protect you from external attacks launched from
    > the Internet. However, it won't protect you from attacks within your own
    > network (example, if another computer on your network gets infected with
    > (for example) Blaster, the virus will still spread inside your network as
    > the infection point is within your network..... the MN700 firewall won't
    > protect you from this, however the Windows XP SP2 firewall will).
    >

    > --
    And it also will not give you warning if a Trojan or other program
    that has been placed on your computer and tries to access the internet or
    rest of network.
    The SP2 firewall won't help here either. You would need a commercial
    or free firewall program.

    So, in order of increasing security:

    Just MN-700 firewall < Add Windows (SP2) firewall < add commercial or free
    firewall program(probably turn SP2 firewall off)

    Sometimes the third party firewall program causes problems with configuring,
    updating, or operating the network, although I have never observed this.

    Hope this helps.

    Dick Kistler

Routers Hardware Firewalls Microsoft Networking