Athlon 1800+ Burned or not burned?

s116262

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I moved to the tropics and took my Athlon 1800+ (boxed) system with me. Well, I was sitting in next to the computer when I heard the computer shut off and I could smell that burning smell. The computer has not booted since.
Question: how do I know if the CPU is fried, the motherboard is fried, or both?
I have photos if anyone would care to help me diagnose this mess. Thanks to anyone who can help.

--Bryan

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Either mount the CPU to an existing system you know is good or take a good CPU and mount it to your existing system.

That way you'll be able to tell if it's the board or CPU.

Good Luck!!!

<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>

endyen

Splendid
Are you sure it wasn't the psu? It's called a faint hope clause. Try a new psu. I'm kind of hoping they use a different voltage there and that you didn't change the switch on the back of your power supply. Trying a shorted device on a good device is not recomended

s116262

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I think I have one of the fastest computers around, and I don't think I'll be able to find someone else with a motherboard that can handle the 1800+.

s116262

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
That was my first hope also, so I did replace the psu with a new one, with no change in symptoms.

What would the cpu look like if it were fried? I have never fried a cpu before, so I don't know what I am looking at.

s116262

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Mine does not look as bad as the one in the picture that was posted. I smelled it and cannot smell anything bad on the cpu. Is there a place I can post the pic so you all can take a look at it? I don't have a website.

poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
The athlon in the picture provided has been well and truly toasted. Burning out a cpu wont normally be this obvious. Look closely around the edges of the core of the cpu, usually if the cpu has fried you will notice a slightly darkened patch around the core or on one edge of the core. Looks kinda like the surface of the chip has been wet in that area. And as already said check for the tell tale smell. Its kind of a sweet smell, if you could call it that, and it may not be overly strong but you will know if it is there.

There is no right and wrong. There's only fun and boring.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well If it will not turn back on at all then you can safely rule out fried cpu or ram. I would say either you have a fried Power Supply, which seems to be the problem from wat you have described to me, or Motherboard. Power supplies, especially the cheap ones, can fry very easily from either leaving it on all the time or it encountered a power surge. If you did fry your cpu or ram, you would see scortch marks on the CPU mounting or the RAM sockets.