Is Zotob A MS Plot . . . .

.. . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later to
upgrade to Shorthorn?

--
Peace!
Kurt

>. . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later to
>upgrade to Shorthorn?
>
> --

I doubt it. It didn't even work to upgrade one particular corporate
customer to Windows 2000 SP4 from SP3. They (the customer) just paid the
$150,000 for the patch on SP3.

Carl

kurttrail wrote:
> . . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later to
> upgrade to Shorthorn?

Rediculous idea. If it was then Zotob would'nt only target Win2 OS.

Steve

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in

> . . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later to
> upgrade to Shorthorn?

It's a conspiracy. All software vendors delight in writing bad code so that
you are forced to spend all your free time patching your operating system
and applications.

For example look at the holes that CERT considered important for the WEEK of
August 3-9:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB05-222.html

That's only the tip of the iceberg:

http://www.securityfocus.com/vulnerabilities

Best to stay away from computers entirely!

Vagabond Software wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:uXqgpcyoFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> . . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later
>> to upgrade to Shorthorn?
>>
>> --
>
> I doubt it. It didn't even work to upgrade one particular corporate
> customer to Windows 2000 SP4 from SP3. They (the customer) just paid
> the $150,000 for the patch on SP3.

LOL! MS will find a way to profit from Zotob, one way or another!

--

> Vagabond Software wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:uXqgpcyoFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> . . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later
>>> to upgrade to Shorthorn?
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> I doubt it. It didn't even work to upgrade one particular corporate
>> customer to Windows 2000 SP4 from SP3. They (the customer) just paid
>> the $150,000 for the patch on SP3.
>
> LOL! MS will find a way to profit from Zotob, one way or another!
>
> --

Well, computers users are kind of like drivers. They'll just keep paying
whatever companies charge as long as they don't have to change their habits.

It's hard to find too much fault with the companies that profit by catering
to the consumer's preferences.

Carl

Vagabond Software wrote:

> Well, computers users are kind of like drivers. They'll just keep
> paying whatever companies charge as long as they don't have to change
> their habits.
> It's hard to find too much fault with the companies that profit by
> catering to the consumer's preferences.

Profiteering from its coding blunders seems to be a bit extortionate to
me. MS should be offering the patch to cover its security whole for
free.

--

> Vagabond Software wrote:
>
>> Well, computers users are kind of like drivers. They'll just keep
>> paying whatever companies charge as long as they don't have to change
>> their habits.
>> It's hard to find too much fault with the companies that profit by
>> catering to the consumer's preferences.
>
> Profiteering from its coding blunders seems to be a bit extortionate to
> me. MS should be offering the patch to cover its security whole for free.
>
> --

They did provide a patch for free... a week before there were any known
instances of the exploits in the user community. I have clients running
Windows 2000 workstations, and none of them have been affected by this
problem... and one client with nine Windows 2000 workstations hasn't even
been patched yet!

Wow! Amazing! It's a miracle! Maybe the divine hand of God came down and
touched little old me, or perhaps He is defending my clients' workstations
with a pillar of fire! Or perhaps network security is configured
correctly... the same way it would be configured whether my client was using
Windows or Linux.

Carl

Steve N. wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>> . . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later
>> to upgrade to Shorthorn?
>>

> Rediculous idea. If it was then Zotob would'nt only target Win2 OS.
>
> Steve

According to CNN, which got hit, some older than XP versions were
affected.

--

kurttrail wrote:

> Steve N. wrote:
>
>>kurttrail wrote:
>>
>>>. . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later
>>>to upgrade to Shorthorn?
>>>

>>Rediculous idea. If it was then Zotob would'nt only target Win2 OS.

Sorry. That should have read "only target Win2K OS."

>>Steve
>

> According to CNN, which got hit, some older than XP versions were
> affected.

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/zotob_a.shtml

"The exploit uses fixed offsets inside Windows 2000 version of
umpnpmgr.dll. This means that only Windows 2000 systems (SP0-4) are
affected."

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135433.htm

"This self-executing worm spreads by exploiting Windows2000 MS05-039
vulnerable systems in order to instruct those systems to download and
execute the worm."

Steve

> Vagabond Software wrote:
>
>> They did provide a patch for free... a week before there were any
>> known instances of the exploits in the user community. <snip>
>
> "They (the customer) just paid the $150,000 for the patch on SP3."
>
> --

Well, I shouldn't have said "the customer"... The end-users' IT service
provider paid $150,000 to patch their operating system. Why? Because they
insist on running an unsupported operating system, which is Windows 2000
SP3. Why? Because they moved their Technicians to an hourly rate to save
money during slow periods.

Even though the IT firm would pay nothing to Microsoft to upgrade to Windows
2000 SP4, a supported operating system, they would have to pay those hourly
technicians to "touch" a helluva lot of machines. So, this IT firm has made
the calculated decision that it is cheaper to pay Microsoft for patches to
an unsupported operating system than it is to pay the Technicians an hourly
rate.

I know this doesn't fit well in your world view, but the progressive IT
firms that actually train their technicians and pay them to manage their
clients' networks never seem to get hit with these problems. Meanwhile, the
reactionary IT firms almost ALWAYS get hit by each and every one of these
problems because they only dispatch technicians to FIX problems AFTER they
are reported.

Carl

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.zotob.b.html

--

kurttrail wrote:

> Steve N. wrote:
>
>>kurttrail wrote:

>>Sorry. That should have read "only target Win2K OS."

>>>According to CNN, which got hit, some older than XP versions were
>>>affected.
>>>

>>http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/zotob_a.shtml
>>
>>"The exploit uses fixed offsets inside Windows 2000 version of
>>umpnpmgr.dll. This means that only Windows 2000 systems (SP0-4) are
>>affected."
>>
>>http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135433.htm
>>
>>"This self-executing worm spreads by exploiting Windows2000 MS05-039
>>vulnerable systems in order to instruct those systems to download and
>>execute the worm."
>

> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.zotob.b.html

Yes, I have read that.

The Symantec writeup fails to mention that it only directly exploits the
MS05-039 vulnerability in Windows2000. Other Windows platforms can
execute and launch the worm but themselves do not get infected or
exploited by it.

Steve

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> Steve N. wrote:
>> kurttrail wrote:

>> Sorry. That should have read "only target Win2K OS."

>>> According to CNN, which got hit, some older than XP versions were
>>> affected.
>>>

>> http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/zotob_a.shtml
>>
>> "The exploit uses fixed offsets inside Windows 2000 version of
>> umpnpmgr.dll. This means that only Windows 2000 systems (SP0-4) are
>> affected."
>>
>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135433.htm
>>
>> "This self-executing worm spreads by exploiting Windows2000 MS05-039
>> vulnerable systems in order to instruct those systems to download and
>> execute the worm."
>
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.zotob.b.html
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

kurtrail,

For once I agree with you! I believe this is no different than the
government trying to slow down home sales so they raise the interest rate.
When that didn't work gas goes up 30 cents a gallon and we all have less
money because of it. Think that will slow home sales?

Think more people will turn on Automatic Updates now? I do! Just think
Vista is on the way to save us all from the evil doers of this world :)

It is interesting as I said the same thing about the last nasty worm that
came around and started all of this stuff where MS put on their website
about the three steps to protecting yourself. Do I believe they gain from
this, yes!!

However, good test to see if you are managing your PC correctly....

George

Steve N. wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> Steve N. wrote:

>>> Sorry. That should have read "only target Win2K OS."

>>> http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/zotob_a.shtml
>>>
>>> "The exploit uses fixed offsets inside Windows 2000 version of
>>> umpnpmgr.dll. This means that only Windows 2000 systems (SP0-4) are
>>> affected."
>>>
>>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135433.htm
>>>
>>> "This self-executing worm spreads by exploiting Windows2000 MS05-039
>>> vulnerable systems in order to instruct those systems to download
>>> and execute the worm."
>>

>> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.zotob.b.html
>>

> Yes, I have read that.
>
> The Symantec writeup fails to mention that it only directly exploits
> the MS05-039 vulnerability in Windows2000. Other Windows platforms can
> execute and launch the worm but themselves do not get infected or
> exploited by it.
>
> Steve

Doesn't matter as my point is that MS will use this worm to get corps
that have been reluctant to upgrade.

--

Vagabond Software wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:uhmb2s0oFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Vagabond Software wrote:
>>
>>> They did provide a patch for free... a week before there were any
>>> known instances of the exploits in the user community. <snip>
>>
>> "They (the customer) just paid the $150,000 for the patch on SP3."
>>
>> --
>
> Well, I shouldn't have said "the customer"... The end-users' IT
> service provider paid $150,000 to patch their operating system. Why?
> Because they insist on running an unsupported operating system, which
> is Windows 2000 SP3. Why? Because they moved their Technicians to
> an hourly rate to save money during slow periods.
>
> Even though the IT firm would pay nothing to Microsoft to upgrade to
> Windows 2000 SP4, a supported operating system, they would have to
> pay those hourly technicians to "touch" a helluva lot of machines. So,
> this IT firm has made the calculated decision that it is cheaper
> to pay Microsoft for patches to an unsupported operating system than
> it is to pay the Technicians an hourly rate.
>
> I know this doesn't fit well in your world view, but the progressive
> IT firms that actually train their technicians and pay them to manage
> their clients' networks never seem to get hit with these problems.
> Meanwhile, the reactionary IT firms almost ALWAYS get hit by each and
> every one of these problems because they only dispatch technicians to
> FIX problems AFTER they are reported.
>
> Carl

MS should provide any necessary patch for free. It is their coding
negligence that
is being exploited.

If the OS is still functional, then MS has a responsibility to patch the
security holes in it. It is a matter of Global Network Security. If MS
doesn't want take responsibility for its holes, then they should get out
of businesss.

--

> Vagabond Software wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:uhmb2s0oFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>>> "They (the customer) just paid the $150,000 for the patch on SP3."
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> Well, I shouldn't have said "the customer"... The end-users' IT
>> service provider paid $150,000 to patch their operating system. Why?
>> Because they insist on running an unsupported operating system, which
>> is Windows 2000 SP3. Why? Because they moved their Technicians to
>> an hourly rate to save money during slow periods.
>>
>> Even though the IT firm would pay nothing to Microsoft to upgrade to
>> Windows 2000 SP4, a supported operating system, they would have to
>> pay those hourly technicians to "touch" a helluva lot of machines. So,
>> this IT firm has made the calculated decision that it is cheaper
>> to pay Microsoft for patches to an unsupported operating system than
>> it is to pay the Technicians an hourly rate.
>>
>> I know this doesn't fit well in your world view, but the progressive
>> IT firms that actually train their technicians and pay them to manage
>> their clients' networks never seem to get hit with these problems.
>> Meanwhile, the reactionary IT firms almost ALWAYS get hit by each and
>> every one of these problems because they only dispatch technicians to
>> FIX problems AFTER they are reported.
>>
>> Carl
>
> MS should provide any necessary patch for free. It is their coding
> negligence that
> is being exploited.
>
> If the OS is still functional, then MS has a responsibility to patch the
> security holes in it. It is a matter of Global Network Security. If MS
> doesn't want take responsibility for its holes, then they should get out
> of businesss.
>
> --

I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. Microsoft provided a
FREE fix via Windows 2000 SP4.

Your assertion that as long as the "OS is still functional, then MS has a
responsibility to patch security holes" is, of course, rediculous. Apple
has to support OS 8? OS 9? Sun has to support SunOS 4.1.3? IBM has to
support OS/2 Warp? Like I said, rediculous.

Global Network Security? How dramatic... Ignorance is a matter of GNS. I
think every IT company that has clients who are infected with these exploits
should have to publicize their company names and their excuse for allowing
their clients to be hit by such an ineffectual worm.

Carl

Fuzzy Logic wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>
>> . . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later
>> to upgrade to Shorthorn?
>
> It's a conspiracy. All software vendors delight in writing bad code
> so that you are forced to spend all your free time patching your
> operating system and applications.
>
> For example look at the holes that CERT considered important for the
> WEEK of August 3-9:
>
> http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB05-222.html
>
> That's only the tip of the iceberg:
>
> http://www.securityfocus.com/vulnerabilities
>
> Best to stay away from computers entirely!

LOL! I use to think it was computers that were the devil, but it ain't
the hardware, it's the software.

--

NoStop wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 08:13 am, Alias had this to say in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
> You have to be a pretty knowledgeable computer user on Linux to make it
> "not" secure.

Has "Linux" removed all buffer overflow bugs then? Hmmm... that means
that there are none that even nobody has found yet! COOL!

Alias

> Vagabond Software wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:uXqgpcyoFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> . . . . To get their Corporate Customers to upgrade to XPSP2 & later
>>> to upgrade to Shorthorn?
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> I doubt it. It didn't even work to upgrade one particular corporate
>> customer to Windows 2000 SP4 from SP3. They (the customer) just paid
>> the $150,000 for the patch on SP3.
>
> LOL! MS will find a way to profit from Zotob, one way or another!
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

As will many computer repair firms.

Alias

Alias wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:%236jsm1zoFHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Vagabond Software wrote:
>>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>>> message news:uXqgpcyoFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

>>> I doubt it. It didn't even work to upgrade one particular corporate
>>> customer to Windows 2000 SP4 from SP3. They (the customer) just
>>> paid the $150,000 for the patch on SP3.
>>
>> LOL! MS will find a way to profit from Zotob, one way or another!
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>
> As will many computer repair firms.
>
> Alias

Yeah, but those repair firms bad code didn't create the security hole in
the first place.

MS is, in effect, profiting from its own mistakes.

--

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote

> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> Steve N. wrote:

>>>Rediculous idea. If it was then Zotob would'nt only target Win2 OS.
>
> Sorry. That should have read "only target Win2K OS."
>

>>>Steve
>>

>> According to CNN, which got hit, some older than XP versions were
>> affected.
>>

> http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/zotob_a.shtml
>
> "The exploit uses fixed offsets inside Windows 2000 version of
> umpnpmgr.dll. This means that only Windows 2000 systems (SP0-4) are
> affected."
>
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135433.htm
>
> "This self-executing worm spreads by exploiting Windows2000 MS05-039
> vulnerable systems in order to instruct those systems to download and
> execute the worm."
>
> Steve

Then why was there a patch for XP? Or was there?

Alias, scratching his head.

Alias wrote:

> "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote
>

>>kurttrail wrote:

>>Sorry. That should have read "only target Win2K OS."

>>>According to CNN, which got hit, some older than XP versions were
>>>affected.
>>>

>>http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/zotob_a.shtml
>>
>>"The exploit uses fixed offsets inside Windows 2000 version of
>>umpnpmgr.dll. This means that only Windows 2000 systems (SP0-4) are
>>affected."
>>
>>http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135433.htm
>>
>>"This self-executing worm spreads by exploiting Windows2000 MS05-039
>>vulnerable systems in order to instruct those systems to download and
>>execute the worm."
>>
>>Steve
>

> Then why was there a patch for XP? Or was there?
>
> Alias, scratching his head.

There is a patch for the same class of vulnerability present in other
Win OSes, but this particular worm is specifically targetting Win2K. It
can be launched from other Win OSes but not infect them.

Steve

kurttrail wrote:

> So stop your apologizing for Microsoft. They created the hole through
> there negligence, and they should be held accountable to fix it for
> free, or be run out of town like any snake oil salesmen that gets caught
> selling an inferior product.

Hear hear!

Microsoft Corporate Officers should be brought before Congress as
commiting fraud just as the Tobacco and S&L executives and those of
Enron, Worldcomm, et. al.

Can you imagine what would happen if people's SUVs suddenly would not
start on the 31st day and there was a message stating that they had to
call this 800 number to "activate" their gas guzzling wreck?

Or if SUVs kept stalling on the highway every six months and the only
way to restart it was to haul it into the shop to be "fixed"?

Greed drives the Commercial software industry.

I have a client with a Network infected by W32.Licum and right now they
are "living with the virus" (it's actually a worm but for this purpose
"virus" sounds better). This is just like the Pharma Industry. They
don't what to CURE or to PREVENT they want people to PAY for monthy
PRESCRIPTIONS (read SUBSCRIPTIONS) to keep alive (or WINDOWS running).

It is criminal. It is neglegance.

Windows can be fixed rather easily. Like making the WINDOWS and
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folders readonly except by verified Microsoft
processes. No application needs to put EXEs or DLLs in the system
folders, they can put them in their PROGRAM FILES folder.

Microsoft is just plain lazy, They make BILLIONS due to shoody design.
So what incentive do they have to change?

What is making things worse are the Mircosoft apologists.