MSI KT4V Mainboard and Alarms

BDuncan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Anyone familiar with the alarm sounds, and this is extremely hard to describe by using text, but here's the situation. I sent a previous post about this mainboard and Athlon XP 2400+ CPU not to long ago, thank you guys for the suggestions and comments. Upon POST of the, of course we're dealing with standard BIOS settings here, so it doesn't detect the correct speed of the CPU, not really a problem at theis point as a BIOS update will take care of that. I enter my date and time, it detect the memory and both the HDs nicely. The temps are pretty stable at 100 degrees F. I want to pretty much leave all the settings default except for a couple of things until I can flash the BIOS and then I'll make the major modfications, I save settings and reboot. The PC reboots, flashes the POST screen very quickly, goes blank and an audible alarm sounds, similiar to a British police car. You then have to clear the CMOS, do your settings again, save and reboot and it does it again. I'm not altering any voltage settings to the CPU or memory to elliminate that variable. I'm wondering has anyone else heard this "alarm" and what did it mean. I'm narrowing it down to CPU or memory.

BDuncan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
In case anyone is interested, after a battle with MSI on the KT4V motherboard, the alarms and non-booting we have discovered that it is the BIOS chip in which you are going to be between a rock and a hard place because you can't flash the BIOS - it will boot to point of detecting a bootable device then crash. So my suggestion would be, if you insist on purchasing this motheboard go ahead and call MSI tech support and have them send you a BIOS chip with a new version or you will have this problem. Now I'm sure this probably will not happen to everyone who buys this motherboard, but it happened to me twice; one motherboard was purchased from Newegg.com and the other purchased from CompUSA in Atlanta, GA. This is enough of an experience that will leave a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to MSI motherboards.