I have a built in wireless card in my Dell D610 laptop. Every time my
computer wakes up it gives me a notice that it has detected a wireless
network somewhere (even if it is secured or is very weak. This is annoying.
Can someone tell me how to stop this, or at least cause the notice to
disappear after 1 second, rather than after about 20 seconds? Thank you.

Just go into device manager and disable the wireless card until you need it.

"Bob S" <BobS@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a built in wireless card in my Dell D610 laptop. Every time my
> computer wakes up it gives me a notice that it has detected a wireless
> network somewhere (even if it is secured or is very weak. This is
annoying.
> Can someone tell me how to stop this, or at least cause the notice to
> disappear after 1 second, rather than after about 20 seconds? Thank you.

Bob,

Another alternative is to use TweakUI from the XP PowerToys to switch off
"Balloon Tips".

Although sadly this switches off ALL Balloon Tips regardless of the
application.

Regards,

Steve

"Curt J Raddatz" <curtraddatz@community.nospam> wrote in message
> Just go into device manager and disable the wireless card until you need
it.

> "Bob S" <BobS@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I have a built in wireless card in my Dell D610 laptop. Every time my
> > computer wakes up it gives me a notice that it has detected a wireless
> > network somewhere (even if it is secured or is very weak. This is
> annoying.
> > Can someone tell me how to stop this, or at least cause the notice to
> > disappear after 1 second, rather than after about 20 seconds? Thank
you.

Thanks Curt. I think I will do that.

"Curt J Raddatz" <curtraddatz@community.nospam> wrote in message
> Just go into device manager and disable the wireless card until you need
> it.
>
> "Bob S" <BobS@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I have a built in wireless card in my Dell D610 laptop. Every time my
>> computer wakes up it gives me a notice that it has detected a wireless
>> network somewhere (even if it is secured or is very weak. This is
> annoying.
>> Can someone tell me how to stop this, or at least cause the notice to
>> disappear after 1 second, rather than after about 20 seconds? Thank you.

Thanks, Steve. I went and downloaded TweakUI and will use it for other
things. There may be other baloon tips I need. So, I think I will try the
other option for now. But thanks for sending me to get TweakUI for XP (I
have used it for earlier versions of Windows).