Also, what is a Tualatin exactly? I can't find any info on the Intel
site about a Tualatin and Was wondering if anyone could tell me if it
is any good or not. What is the difference between a Tualatin and a
regular P3 CPU?

Any input would be much appreciated.

More about : tualatin

May 27, 2003 2:38:36 AM

Well according to the intel site:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815e...

Quote:
Intel® Desktop Board D815EEA2/D815EPEA2
What Does the "U" Mean in the Intel(R) Desktop Board D815EEA2LU Product Code?

The Intel® Desktop Board D815EEA2 provides support for the Pentium® III processors and Intel® Celeron® processors manufactured in the 0.18-micron technology, for the 370-pin FC-PGA package. This board also supports Pentium III Processors manufactured in the 0.13-micron technology, for the 370-pin FC-PGA2 package.

To determine if you have a Universal board that is capable of supporting the processors mentioned above, check to see if the letter "U" is silk-screened on the desktop board next to the board name. Or if you have a boxed product, check to see if the letter "U" ends the boxed product code.

Since the model number is D815EEA2 U <---- this must be the correct explination.

For the Tualatin: What is question (from what i have heard, have not had any experience) is a .13 micron processed chip instead of the old .18 process. I believe that the chip has a different pin out but still follows the 370 design. For voltage and other specs i don't know.

Hope this helps, please correct me if I am wrong!

PCMCIA Really stands for (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms) :)  :)  Visit www.bike.tk
May 27, 2003 2:39:22 AM

Tualatin is the core name used on PIII and Celeron cpu's manufactured on the 0.13 micron process.
PIII clocked at 1.13 and 1.2GHz with 512KB of L2 cache and Celeron clocked at 1.0A, 1.1A, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4GHz with 256KB of L2 cache.
Also PIII server cpu's clocked at 1.2 and 1.4GHz and PIIIm cpu's clocked at 1.0, 1.13 and 1.2GHz with 512KB of L2 cache.
You can't use PIIIm cpu's on your motherboard as they are in a micro-flipchip-pin grid array package.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
Related resources
May 27, 2003 3:02:32 AM

The Tualatin is a P3 that was shrunk to a .13 process, as well as including an Intel Intergrated Heat Spreader (the same that is on the P4). After the P3 breaking the GHZ fiscal, Intel released this new core. It was very close to the Athlon, clock for clock I believe. It was only made up to 1.4ghz.
They are a nice chip. I currently have a celeron 1.1 overclocked to 1.4, and my core temperature is around 29 C. If your board supports it, i'd suggest getting one.
May 27, 2003 3:37:28 AM

OK, It sounds like the Tualatin will work on my board, according to what the Intel site says.
Will a Tualatin just plug in, or will I need to use an adaptor that I've been reading about.

Things are beginning to come together a little better now. I'll be hunting a 370-pin FC-PGA2 1.2G with 0.13-micron technology for this thing. I hope I don't need an adaptor. I havn't read about any physical differences, so far anyway.

Thanks for everyones good info and quick responses.
May 27, 2003 4:14:34 AM

No adaptor is needed if you have a universal board.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
May 27, 2003 4:33:21 AM

That's what I wanted to hear!

Thanks, Doc
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2003 5:09:22 AM

Your board can use any Tualatin core CPU. Tualatin cores have 512k cache. For Desktop PIIIs, they disable half the cache (this is a good way to preserve cores, since Cache is the area most likely to be defective, they can disable the defective half). For Celerons, they disable half the cache, and give the other half 1 cycle latency.

The PIII-S 1400 is your best bet for performance. Celerons are mostly handicapped by their slow 100MHz bus speed, but they can be made fast by overclocking (a Celeron 1100 Tualatin, when overclocked to 1466MHz/133MHz bus, is around 5% slower than a PIII-S 1400).

Unfortunately you can't overclock easily with that board. But if, after weighing your options, you would like to give that a shot, PM me with your email and I'll send you info on overclocking the Celeron via pin manipulation.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
May 27, 2003 5:44:31 PM

Hello Crashman,

If you say my board will wupport a 1.4G Tualatin, then I will try and find one these instead of the 1.2G Tualatin.

"The PIII-S 1400 is your best bet for performance"

The number on the silkscreen is D815EEA2 then the white "U" after.
It presently has the P15 BIOS, but I beleive it will go up to the P19.

BTW, what does the "S" stand for after the "PIII-S" on the 1400 chip??

I'm not knowledgeble enough to be messing with the clock, as in "OverClock"! Not yet anyway.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2003 10:49:32 PM

The performance difference between my Celeron 1100@1466/BX/PC133 and my P4 2.4B/i850E/PC1066 is only around 15%! And my 2.4B platform is operating exactly as it's supposed to!

a b à CPUs
May 27, 2003 11:17:59 PM

It's funny, you see the PIII-S is the Server version. And you usually don't see the -S in the description of -S processors. What you see instead is "512k", which refers to the full sized cache of the -S type Tualatin.

All PIII 1400's and some 1200's are the 512k variety. Because they are made for a high end system, Intel doesn't want you to use them on your current board. Ignore that, they will work.

You see, Intel is upset with you for wanting to use such a great processor on their "Cheap" chipset. They would much rather sell you an i840 (PIII Rambus Server chipset) board instead! Ignore that and use the PIII 1400 (PIII-S 1400) on your i815EP rev. B board instead!

Ocasionally Intel does dirty BIOS tricks to force this issue, so I don't recommend upgrading your BIOS unless you have to.

May 28, 2003 3:18:11 AM

I currently own a Pentium III-S 1266MHz right now on a DFI i815ep chipset. I got the chip on ebay, the guy said it was an extra out of a dual processing motherboard, it sold for about $100, which is very good for that processor. I have managed to overclock the sucker to 1425 MHz but nothing past that or Windows won't boot up. If i knew a way to get around this I would do it, but that seems to be as high as I can get it to overclock to. (150X9.5) I've managed to get a 7000 or so on 3DMark2001SE with a ATI Radeon 9100, so that's pretty good I suppose. I hear that the only way I can OC the chip more is by raising the voltage which is impossible on this motherboard....if anyone could help me to OC this chip more, I'd appreciate it. Oh yeah, I use a Thermaltake Volcano9 to cool it and it stays around 37C-40C which I must say it pretty good.
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2003 3:29:56 AM

Raise your core voltage to 1.70v and lower your memory ratio to 133/100 FSB/RAM. That will allow you to get to around 170FSB. You'll need to use pin tricks to get the voltage up if this is not available in BIOS.

May 28, 2003 4:10:33 AM

The best Celeron Intel ever made! Or at least the most efficient at what it was made to do as compared to the current P4 Celerons which are very inefficient.
!