catalyst_oz

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
What operating systems would support multiple multithreading CPU's, I am thinking of setting up a new machine with 2 Xeon's or 2 Hyperthreaded P4's. The big problem I see is that WinXP pro is licenced for 1-2 cpu's and my config would appear as 4cpu's. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I will live for ever,
Or die trying!

leeanator

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Windows XP Pro should support (so I have heard please correct if I am wrong) The 2 processors. You would have to use Dual Xeons, it is not possible to use dual P4's.

The only other possible solution is Dual Athlon MP's, but then you don't get the Hyper threading option.

PCMCIA Really stands for (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms) :) :) Visit www.bike.tk

catalyst_oz

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
no cracking the human DNA, I do a lot of video encoding and transcoding and want to be capable of several tasks simultaneously.

I will live for ever,
Or die trying!

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Windows XP recognizes the difference between physical processors and logical processors. It limits you to 2 physical processors. The logical processors you can have for free. So while 2 HT-enabled Xeons may show up as 4 processors, XP recognizes that there's only 2 physical processors and won't restrict you to only 2 threads.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

I do the samething and i find that running a single pentium 4 at 3.06ghz with HT is fine.

I encoded with Premiere 6.5 and i ran the ATI TV program while browsing the web. I think the only drawback is that i need more RAM. I have 512MB and running all those programs just drained my RAM i think as it started to run slow. But with all that running i was at 65% CPU usage.

As far as I remember you need an operating system that can handle a quad cpu setup. Which is windows 2000 server or windows xp server editions of the operating system to make any use of dual xeon with hyperthreading.

You don't need that! Waste of money. Save your money and get this instead.

get the 3.0ghz pentium 4, dual channel ddr with 1GB RAM and 2x 75GB Ultra 320 SCSI In RAID 0 (that would be 150GB drive). And a 80GB firewire external drive for backups and a DVD - Writer.

With the money you would save you could buy a notebook too!

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
Speaking of wasting money, I thought ultra 320 was a waste of money uneless you had 64bit PCI slots.

Sorry for the thread hijacking.

My computer is the leading cause of global warming.

*blinks*

then get ultra 160 ... wtf ... i think the clear point is a SCSI drive setup in RAID 0 and then a external firewire drive for backups and then a dvd-burner to archive important data and to make dvd videos.

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

hellodeadcat

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
Win XP Pro is fine for dual HT xenons. It will recognize that there are only 2 physical CPU's and still let you have 4 virtual CPU's. I do not think there is any known way to run dual P4's (unlike with AMD where you can mod an XP into an MP). If you do not believe me, check out 2cpu.com and they will reaffirm what I have just said.