Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Dear firiends I am trying to fix this friend's PC and have noticed the
following: There is no floppy icon in My computer. Can not use floppy drive.
In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark on the floppy. In
the property of the drive there is this message: window can not load the
device driver for this hardware. The drivermay be corrupted or missing (code
39). I ran into the article by Micorsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817196 and followed
the instructions but there is no FlashPath Monitor in the PC. However I found
a couple of keys in the registry as such and deleted them.
system32\drivers\flpydisk.sys value is where it should be as the article
aludes to. So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how to fix this
problem. Your input is very appreciated.

Does the floppy show up in the BIOS/CMOS???

> Dear firiends I am trying to fix this friend's PC and have noticed the
> following: There is no floppy icon in My computer. Can not use floppy
> drive.
> In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark on the floppy. In
> the property of the drive there is this message: window can not load the
> device driver for this hardware. The drivermay be corrupted or missing
> (code
> 39). I ran into the article by Micorsoft
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817196 and
> followed
> the instructions but there is no FlashPath Monitor in the PC. However I
> found
> a couple of keys in the registry as such and deleted them.
> system32\drivers\flpydisk.sys value is where it should be as the article
> aludes to. So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how to fix
> this
> problem. Your input is very appreciated.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thank you very much for the kind replies guys. How do I get to the BIOS/CMOS?
Please bear with me ast I am not that familier with XP. The drive is listed
in the device manage with yellow exclamation mark on it. I remove it a few
times and upon rebooting windows finds the hardware and shows up in the
device manager again with the same status. Looking forward to your advice!

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Does the floppy show up in the BIOS/CMOS???
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear firiends I am trying to fix this friend's PC and have noticed the
> > following: There is no floppy icon in My computer. Can not use floppy
> > drive.
> > In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark on the floppy. In
> > the property of the drive there is this message: window can not load the
> > device driver for this hardware. The drivermay be corrupted or missing
> > (code
> > 39). I ran into the article by Micorsoft
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817196 and
> > followed
> > the instructions but there is no FlashPath Monitor in the PC. However I
> > found
> > a couple of keys in the registry as such and deleted them.
> > system32\drivers\flpydisk.sys value is where it should be as the article
> > aludes to. So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how to fix
> > this
> > problem. Your input is very appreciated.

As Yves said does your BIOS have both the Floppy Disk Controller
enabled and the Floppy drive defined correctly as 1.4 Meg ? If both
of those settings are correct then you could open Device Manager &
Click View, check "Show Hidden Devices". Then expand the Floppy
Disk Controllers and uninstall all the entries. Repeat the same uninstall
for the Floppy Drive category and then Reboot. XP should enumerate
both on the next startup as they are Plug-&-Play type components.

> Does the floppy show up in the BIOS/CMOS???
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Dear firiends I am trying to fix this friend's PC and have noticed the
>> following: There is no floppy icon in My computer. Can not use floppy
>> drive.
>> In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark on the floppy.
>> In
>> the property of the drive there is this message: window can not load the
>> device driver for this hardware. The drivermay be corrupted or missing
>> (code
>> 39). I ran into the article by Micorsoft
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817196 and
>> followed
>> the instructions but there is no FlashPath Monitor in the PC. However I
>> found
>> a couple of keys in the registry as such and deleted them.
>> system32\drivers\flpydisk.sys value is where it should be as the article
>> aludes to. So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how to fix
>> this
>> problem. Your input is very appreciated.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have not got to the CMOS yet but in the device manager I uninstalled both
the controller and the drvice and rebooted. It found the hardware and back at
device manager it shows yellow exclamation on the drive again! Also there is
no icon for the drive in the my computer. Like the floppy does not exist. Do
I need a new driver since the message in the property of the drive in the
device manager says it is corrupt? Where do I get a driver for this device.
It is FDC\Generic_floppy_drive\5&1D9DE4D2&0&0 Once again, I have not checked
the CMOS yet since I don't know how to get to it. Many thanks!

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> As Yves said does your BIOS have both the Floppy Disk Controller
> enabled and the Floppy drive defined correctly as 1.4 Meg ? If both
> of those settings are correct then you could open Device Manager &
> Click View, check "Show Hidden Devices". Then expand the Floppy
> Disk Controllers and uninstall all the entries. Repeat the same uninstall
> for the Floppy Drive category and then Reboot. XP should enumerate
> both on the next startup as they are Plug-&-Play type components.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> > Does the floppy show up in the BIOS/CMOS???
> >

> > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Dear firiends I am trying to fix this friend's PC and have noticed the
> >> following: There is no floppy icon in My computer. Can not use floppy
> >> drive.
> >> In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark on the floppy.
> >> In
> >> the property of the drive there is this message: window can not load the
> >> device driver for this hardware. The drivermay be corrupted or missing
> >> (code
> >> 39). I ran into the article by Micorsoft
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817196 and
> >> followed
> >> the instructions but there is no FlashPath Monitor in the PC. However I
> >> found
> >> a couple of keys in the registry as such and deleted them.
> >> system32\drivers\flpydisk.sys value is where it should be as the article
> >> aludes to. So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how to fix
> >> this
> >> problem. Your input is very appreciated.

The BIOS/CMOS is not part of XP. This is the "special" control program
which tells the computer what are the installed hard drives, floppies, total
RAM and other settings. Depending on the BIOS, you should see a Boot screen
which counts out the RAM and list out the configuration before strtedin XP.

Usually key setting to get into BIOS/CMOS, before "Starting XP....." is
displayed:

<DEL> key
<F2>
<CTRL> + <F2>