Oliver Rocks! (Free play Centaur roms!)

henri

Noticed on Oliver's site that he has replacement U6 ROMS that set Centaur
(among a whole list of other early Bally SS games) to "Free Play"

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

His software hack is to never let the credit count go below 1 (set by
flipping dip switches 25 and 26 to 'ON')

works great! much nicer than adding another switch to the game start
button :)

Go Oliver!!

henri

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Anybody take a look at Oliver's method of how anybody can try their
hand at changing the rules in their old Bally/Sterns? It's here:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_pck.html#intro

I'm an old Cobol programmer so I know hex a little but I can already
see this assembler level stuff is beyond my aging skills : (
All I remember about assembler language was from a college class, I
guess I didn't like it very much as it seemed you had to write 10
statements just to add two numbers together....oh well...Would sure be
neat to be a whiz at this and take something like a cranky old Eight
Ball and give it all kinds of crazy new rules and special lighting
effects.
Maybe after I retire : ) Frenchy

I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
"on".

Don't get me wrong I love Oliver's work I just am a little surprised by
this one.

Mario
Pinthetic

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 3 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:

>I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
>them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
>of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
>"on".

I think the "free play" U6 rom that's been floating around for awhile
is for the 2532 chip, I believe what Oliver did was apply to the 2732
but I'm not exactly sure on that. I only found that out the other day
looking through my folder of rom images and ran across a free play for
a 2532 chip.

2532 and 2732 chips both use 4 KB images - they are interchangable so long
as the board is jumpered for whatever type of chip you are going to install,
and of course you program the image on the appropriate chip with an
appropriate programmer.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"Ben" <pinballben@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 3 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
>>them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
>>of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
>>"on".
>
> I think the "free play" U6 rom that's been floating around for awhile
> is for the 2532 chip, I believe what Oliver did was apply to the 2732
> but I'm not exactly sure on that. I only found that out the other day
> looking through my folder of rom images and ran across a free play for
> a 2532 chip.

Going back, that looks a little confusing

The chips are not interchangable
The ROM images are.

--

"John Wart, jr" <johnwartjr@johnwartjr.com> wrote in message
> 2532 and 2732 chips both use 4 KB images - they are interchangable so long
> as the board is jumpered for whatever type of chip you are going to
> install, and of course you program the image on the appropriate chip with
> an appropriate programmer.
>
> --
> http://www.myhomegameroom.com
>

> "Ben" <pinballben@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 3 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
>>>them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
>>>of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
>>>"on".
>>
>> I think the "free play" U6 rom that's been floating around for awhile
>> is for the 2532 chip, I believe what Oliver did was apply to the 2732
>> but I'm not exactly sure on that. I only found that out the other day
>> looking through my folder of rom images and ran across a free play for
>> a 2532 chip.

oliver

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003

"frenchy" <mf101723@msn.com> wrote in news:1120443001.196737.327400
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Anybody take a look at Oliver's method of how anybody can try their
> hand at changing the rules in their old Bally/Sterns? It's here:
>
> http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_pck.html#intro
>
> I'm an old Cobol programmer so I know hex a little but I can already
> see this assembler level stuff is beyond my aging skills : (
> All I remember about assembler language was from a college class, I
> guess I didn't like it very much as it seemed you had to write 10
> statements just to add two numbers together....oh well...Would sure be
> neat to be a whiz at this and take something like a cranky old Eight
> Ball and give it all kinds of crazy new rules and special lighting
> effects.
> Maybe after I retire : ) Frenchy

Hi Frenchy,
I created a new mata hari game roms with this.
This version included a skill shot, a bonus countdown (in the upper
hole) with a bonus reset and a improved attract mode.
If you are intrested you also will find the source code of the mata hari
game rom on my page.
My collection: Fa*thom (new rulesheet), E*BD (new rulesheet),
Har*lem (7 Digit), Xen*on, Emb*ryon (new rulesheet), Star*T*rek,
Vec*tor (new rulesheet), Ma*ta*Hari(new rulesheet), Fire*power (7 Digit)
and Alien*P*oker (multiball)...

My homepage: http://www.pinball4you.ch

Mail to: okaegi at freesurf dot ch

henri

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic wrote:

> I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
> them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
> of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
> "on".
>
> Don't get me wrong I love Oliver's work I just am a little surprised by
> this one.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

I had no idea there were free play roms out there. nothing really jumps to
the top of the google groups search and i hadn't seen the link to the free
play roms (Oliver's i think?) from Clay's site

so it was news to me :)

glad to hear that you have other free play roms available and I hope that
this thread pops up in search peoples searches for -35 free play roms in
the future

henri

Actually if you download the Bly2732.zip file from the
Marvin3m.com/bally site you get all of Oliver's free play
ROM files in that ZIP. It's all explained in the 2732lst.txt
file that is enclosed in the ZIP file.

henri wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic wrote:
>
> > I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
> > them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
> > of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
> > "on".
> >
> > Don't get me wrong I love Oliver's work I just am a little surprised by
> > this one.
> >
> > Mario
> > Pinthetic
>
> I had no idea there were free play roms out there. nothing really jumps to
> the top of the google groups search and i hadn't seen the link to the free
> play roms (Oliver's i think?) from Clay's site
>
> so it was news to me :)
>
> glad to hear that you have other free play roms available and I hope that
> this thread pops up in search peoples searches for -35 free play roms in
> the future
>
> henri

oliver

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003

cfh@provide.net wrote in

> Actually if you download the Bly2732.zip file from the
> Marvin3m.com/bally site you get all of Oliver's free play
> ROM files in that ZIP. It's all explained in the 2732lst.txt
> file that is enclosed in the ZIP file.

Cool, I finally made it to the marvin3 pages !
Greetings Oliver