Oliver Rocks! (Free play Centaur roms!)

Noticed on Oliver's site that he has replacement U6 ROMS that set Centaur
(among a whole list of other early Bally SS games) to "Free Play"

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

His software hack is to never let the credit count go below 1 (set by
flipping dip switches 25 and 26 to 'ON')

works great! much nicer than adding another switch to the game start
button :)

Go Oliver!!

henri
10 answers Last reply
More about oliver rocks free play centaur roms

    Anybody take a look at Oliver's method of how anybody can try their
    hand at changing the rules in their old Bally/Sterns? It's here:

    http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_pck.html#intro

    I'm an old Cobol programmer so I know hex a little but I can already
    see this assembler level stuff is beyond my aging skills : (
    All I remember about assembler language was from a college class, I
    guess I didn't like it very much as it seemed you had to write 10
    statements just to add two numbers together....oh well...Would sure be
    neat to be a whiz at this and take something like a cranky old Eight
    Ball and give it all kinds of crazy new rules and special lighting
    effects.
    Maybe after I retire : ) Frenchy

    I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
    them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
    of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
    "on".

    Don't get me wrong I love Oliver's work I just am a little surprised by
    this one.

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    On 3 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
    >them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
    >of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
    >"on".

    I think the "free play" U6 rom that's been floating around for awhile
    is for the 2532 chip, I believe what Oliver did was apply to the 2732
    but I'm not exactly sure on that. I only found that out the other day
    looking through my folder of rom images and ran across a free play for
    a 2532 chip.

    2532 and 2732 chips both use 4 KB images - they are interchangable so long
    as the board is jumpered for whatever type of chip you are going to install,
    and of course you program the image on the appropriate chip with an
    appropriate programmer.

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "Ben" <pinballben@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On 3 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
    >>them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
    >>of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
    >>"on".
    >
    > I think the "free play" U6 rom that's been floating around for awhile
    > is for the 2532 chip, I believe what Oliver did was apply to the 2732
    > but I'm not exactly sure on that. I only found that out the other day
    > looking through my folder of rom images and ran across a free play for
    > a 2532 chip.

    Going back, that looks a little confusing

    The chips are not interchangable
    The ROM images are.

    --

    "frenchy" <mf101723@msn.com> wrote in news:1120443001.196737.327400
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > Anybody take a look at Oliver's method of how anybody can try their
    > hand at changing the rules in their old Bally/Sterns? It's here:
    >
    > http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_pck.html#intro
    >
    > I'm an old Cobol programmer so I know hex a little but I can already
    > see this assembler level stuff is beyond my aging skills : (
    > All I remember about assembler language was from a college class, I
    > guess I didn't like it very much as it seemed you had to write 10
    > statements just to add two numbers together....oh well...Would sure be
    > neat to be a whiz at this and take something like a cranky old Eight
    > Ball and give it all kinds of crazy new rules and special lighting
    > effects.
    > Maybe after I retire : ) Frenchy

    Hi Frenchy,
    I created a new mata hari game roms with this.
    This version included a skill shot, a bonus countdown (in the upper
    hole) with a bonus reset and a improved attract mode.
    If you are intrested you also will find the source code of the mata hari
    game rom on my page.
    My collection: Fa*thom (new rulesheet), E*BD (new rulesheet),
    Har*lem (7 Digit), Xen*on, Emb*ryon (new rulesheet), Star*T*rek,
    Vec*tor (new rulesheet), Ma*ta*Hari(new rulesheet), Fire*power (7 Digit)
    and Alien*P*oker (multiball)...

    My homepage: http://www.pinball4you.ch

    Mail to: okaegi at freesurf dot ch

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic wrote:

    > I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
    > them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
    > of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
    > "on".
    >
    > Don't get me wrong I love Oliver's work I just am a little surprised by
    > this one.
    >
    > Mario
    > Pinthetic

    I had no idea there were free play roms out there. nothing really jumps to
    the top of the google groups search and i hadn't seen the link to the free
    play roms (Oliver's i think?) from Clay's site

    so it was news to me :)

    glad to hear that you have other free play roms available and I hope that
    this thread pops up in search peoples searches for -35 free play roms in
    the future

    henri

    Actually if you download the Bly2732.zip file from the
    Marvin3m.com/bally site you get all of Oliver's free play
    ROM files in that ZIP. It's all explained in the 2732lst.txt
    file that is enclosed in the ZIP file.

    henri wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:51:47 -0700, Pinthetic wrote:
    >
    > > I have had a U6 rom that does free play for years. I believe I have
    > > them for -40, -52, and -53 games. Unless it also changes the function
    > > of the game this is no big deal. I believe you just leave dipswitch 26
    > > "on".
    > >
    > > Don't get me wrong I love Oliver's work I just am a little surprised by
    > > this one.
    > >
    > > Mario
    > > Pinthetic
    >
    > I had no idea there were free play roms out there. nothing really jumps to
    > the top of the google groups search and i hadn't seen the link to the free
    > play roms (Oliver's i think?) from Clay's site
    >
    > so it was news to me :)
    >
    > glad to hear that you have other free play roms available and I hope that
    > this thread pops up in search peoples searches for -35 free play roms in
    > the future
    >
    > henri

    Great resource, thanks for sharing.

    cfh@provide.net wrote in

    > Actually if you download the Bly2732.zip file from the
    > Marvin3m.com/bally site you get all of Oliver's free play
    > ROM files in that ZIP. It's all explained in the 2732lst.txt
    > file that is enclosed in the ZIP file.

    Cool, I finally made it to the marvin3 pages !
    Greetings Oliver

    My collection: Fa*thom (new rulesheet), E*BD (new rulesheet), Har*lem (7
    Digit), Xen*on, Emb*ryon (new rulesheet), Star*T*rek, Vec*tor (new
    rulesheet), Ma*ta*Hari(new rulesheet), Fire*power (7 Digit) and
    Alien*P*oker (multiball)...

    My homepage: http://www.pinball4you.ch

    Mail to: okaegi at freesurf dot ch

Switch Games Software Video Games