fred

My Windows XP has been very slow lately. When running a large program, I've
noticed that the utilization of the idle time, from the Task Manger, is
divided between the program that I executed and idle time which is
approximately 50- 50 percent of the cpu resources. Is there a way to change
the setup so that the idle time uses the least amount of resource when other
programs are running?

Or are there other ways to optimize cpu utilization so that I can speed up
program execution?

Thanks,
Fred

Try running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. Also try to remove programs
from the startup folder that you do not need to start when Windows boots up.