DVD won't play

I have a new PC which I assembled myself.

My DVD-Writer/player is Samsung TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U (OEM)

I also purchased Nero OEM Suite CD and have installed the following:-
Nero OEM Suite (version 6.6.0.5)
NeroVision Express 3 SE (version 3.0.1.18)
Nero ShowTime 2

When I insert a retail DVD film, it won't play (either in Windows
Media layer or Nero Showtime). I've tried different DVDs, no success.

No matter how many time I eject and reload the disc, or click on the
play button in Nero Showtime, the DVD still won't play.

I noticed in Nero Showtime that I cannot select individual scenes and
in fact no information is available.

Is this likely to be a problem with my Samsung drive or is my PC still
missing some software?

I am running Windows XP Home with SP2, with Direct X version 9.0c

According to the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility, the MPEG-2
decoders installed are:-
Nero Video Decoder (NeVideo.ax)
Nero DVD Decoder (NeVideo.ax)
2 answers Last reply
More about play

    I don't have any experience with the ahead software product. I use Power DVD
    to play movies and it works great. While it may be an issue with the drie, I
    highly suspect it is a codec issue.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "Gary D." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >I have a new PC which I assembled myself.
    >
    > My DVD-Writer/player is Samsung TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U (OEM)
    >
    > I also purchased Nero OEM Suite CD and have installed the following:-
    > Nero OEM Suite (version 6.6.0.5)
    > NeroVision Express 3 SE (version 3.0.1.18)
    > Nero ShowTime 2
    >

    > When I insert a retail DVD film, it won't play (either in Windows
    > Media layer or Nero Showtime). I've tried different DVDs, no success.
    >
    > No matter how many time I eject and reload the disc, or click on the
    > play button in Nero Showtime, the DVD still won't play.
    >
    > I noticed in Nero Showtime that I cannot select individual scenes and
    > in fact no information is available.
    >
    > Is this likely to be a problem with my Samsung drive or is my PC still
    > missing some software?
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home with SP2, with Direct X version 9.0c
    >
    > According to the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility, the MPEG-2
    > decoders installed are:-
    > Nero Video Decoder (NeVideo.ax)
    > Nero DVD Decoder (NeVideo.ax)

    Have Nero 5.5 which has no provision for playing commercially pressed (not
    burned) movies on DVD. I use this for playing these type movies::
    http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/products/powerdvd.html
    Both this and WinDVD basically use the same engine, and supply the same
    codecs. Either should work fine.
    If you can view the DVD in windows explorer and shows the "ifo" and other
    DVD file extensions, its a Nero problem. Probably codecs.
    Some commercially pressed movie DVDs have PC software for playing movie DVDs
    on them. Usually comes up when inserting the DVD.
    Could be a media problem if its a rental. They use the original for making
    copies locally by burning, then rent the copies. The media they chose may
    have reflectivity problems with your DVD player.
    ..
    "Gary D." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > I have a new PC which I assembled myself.
    >
    > My DVD-Writer/player is Samsung TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U (OEM)
    >
    > I also purchased Nero OEM Suite CD and have installed the following:-
    > Nero OEM Suite (version 6.6.0.5)
    > NeroVision Express 3 SE (version 3.0.1.18)
    > Nero ShowTime 2
    >

    > When I insert a retail DVD film, it won't play (either in Windows
    > Media layer or Nero Showtime). I've tried different DVDs, no success.
    >
    > No matter how many time I eject and reload the disc, or click on the
    > play button in Nero Showtime, the DVD still won't play.
    >
    > I noticed in Nero Showtime that I cannot select individual scenes and
    > in fact no information is available.
    >
    > Is this likely to be a problem with my Samsung drive or is my PC still
    > missing some software?
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home with SP2, with Direct X version 9.0c
    >
    > According to the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility, the MPEG-2
    > decoders installed are:-
    > Nero Video Decoder (NeVideo.ax)
    > Nero DVD Decoder (NeVideo.ax)

DVD Nero Windows XP