Installing/removing P4 with retail heatsink?

leahzero

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Hi all. First off, this is my first time building, so I'm sure these questions will sound totally asinine to you pros...but I really want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up here.

Okay. I put my first system together earlier today, with a P4 2.8 (non-800FSB) on an ABIT IC7 (non-G) mobo. The fit didn't feel right, though, the retail Intel heatsink/fan felt too loose. When I booted up, my system started beeping and shut down after a few seconds, giving me the error message "CMOS checksum error." Curious, I tried laying the case on its side, mobo facing the ceiling, and was able to boot without that error. So I'm surmising as of now that the heatsink/fan are too loose, and when the box is standing they slide out a bit and that's causing the shut downs.

The thing is, they don't FALL out, they ARE anchored, it's just that I can jiggle the heatsink/fan around using a couple of fingers. This IS wrong, correct? I shouldn't be able to jiggle the assembly when the levers are locked?

So, could anyone enlighten a pathetic newbie? Do I need to reseat this thing and get it solid, or is it supposed to be movable once it's locked in?

Thanks in advance, and again, my apologies for being such a dumbass.

EDIT: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/intnotes478.htm - full directions for removal - followed 'em and got the heatsink/fan off no prob - but after putting it back in, it's still loose...what am I doing wrong?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by leahzero on 05/28/03 01:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

leahzero

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Hm...well, the clueless newbie has figured out a few things. I still hope someone can help with this, but I'm posting to add the new stuff I found out.

I believe the reason my system was shutting down was overheating. Because of the loose HSF as described above, when the case was standing upright, there wasn't full contact between heatsink and processor. I tested this by cooling the system down, powering up with case standing upright, and within a few minutes the constant beeping came back and the system shut itself down. Started it back up with the case on its side and checked the CPU temp in BIOS--it was slightly above 200 degrees F (sorry, didn't note down the # in Celsius). This is markedly higher than what it was running at while constantly on its side--about 130F.

Well, now there are problems. I'm getting a "CPU unworkable" error from BIOS at boot. I hope my idiocy didn't fry the chip. Will be dismantling system and attempting to get that heatsink clamped down firmly, but it doesn't seem like I can do it without using a LOT of force, and I don't want to break the mobo or the HSF.

So, in addition to the above questions, does it sound like I fried my processor? I don't know exactly how hot it was running with case standing upright, but since it shut itself down it's obviously too hot. Can you fry a P4 at 200-odd degrees F?

Sorry again for being so ignorant. If I've just burned $250, that'll be a very hard lesson. *sigh*

EDIT: Okay, found out P4s shut down at 135C/275F. So I was hitting that mark... *cringe*<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by leahzero on 05/28/03 05:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

If all 4 catches of the heatsink frame are engaged, the heatsink and upper bracket will both sit flat and be ready to lock down using the 2 levers. To remove, use a flat regular screwdriver to unhook each corner from the frame (bottom portion atatched to the board) as you pull the heatsink assembly up. Just place the screwdriver between the frame and hooks and twist sideways to separate them one at a time until all 4 are loose as you lift the heatsink and bracket up.

leahzero

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Thanks for the info.

I finally figured out the problem. The lock holes on the mobo are situated just a few millimeters too high, so even when the HSF is as securely locked in as it can go, there's a small gap that allows it to lose contact with the processor. I think it's time to buy a third-party HSF...

you didn't snap in the heatsink. they snap in. you just don't plop it on - should also have like 2 levers that you pull to tighten it.

You should read you're manual and the card you get in the cpu box.

you're putting together a computer not a lego box.

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>