Client Filtering - Block instant messaging

joan

How do I block instant messaging? I see that I do it in
client filtering, but where do I get the host numbers to
fill in?

The host number is the IP of the computer where you want to
block Messaging. The MBNU shows the IP for each PC.
Otherwise go to the PC, and double click on the connection
icon on the right of the Start menu bar. This opens the
Loacl Area Connection STatus dialog box. The IP is in the
Support tab.

It's good idea to increase the lease length on the router
LAN screen to keep the IP assigned to that IP for long time
(or assign the PC a static IP).

With the Microsoft routers, as long as the MAC address of the requesting
computer stays the same, it'll keep getting the same ip (assuming the dhcp
range doesn't change) <well, that's the way it was suppose to work>

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -