Avast! vs AVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I currently am running the latest version of Avast!, but many of my gamer friends tell me AVG is better. So is AVG better? And why? :)

Solution
People seem to like AVG and it has good support for virus updates and for a free anti-virus program it is a pretty good piece of software.

It makes me wonder what people are downloading to get viruses in the first place.

It doesn't matter what is dowloaded there can be a virus attached to almost anything and unless you have a good anti-virus program that scans your download and e-mails you run the risk of getting a virus. You can be going to a site to look for a driver and not know that a virus has been attached to the driver.
In a perfect world we could have a virus/hacker free internet.

Of course, that assumes the user itself downloads a lot of attachments in their email address(which means they are purposely getting targeted, which means the user probably did something to entice the sending of the email). Drivers in general should be downloaded by the official vendor, and getting it off another site, means you are willing to accept the consequences if something wrong is going to happen.most driver installation will usually happen during the initial installation of the system. other drivers will usually only happen with GPU's or new hardware, in which should be downloaded on the official site. If the official site was plagued, then hundreds of thousands of users are about to spread a virus, and that hacker was probably good for injecting it in a high profile site.

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Thank you! I bought the full version and I like it much better than Avast!

TRuss

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

http://www.tomshardware.com/membres/?action=change_avatar&idMessage=446

Not to be conflictive, but I wouldn't reccomend Norton to my worst enemy. The free version of Avast or AVG are far more effective than any symantec product. Much of the Malware, Trojans, Worms etc... are targeted at Symantec so that opens you up that much more. Overall your better off with either AVG or Avast in addition to MSE or Super Anti SW

Status
Not open for further replies.