Choosing a laptop

My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
and suffering from frustration syndrome!
My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
Which model should I look for?

Many thanks in advance.

TG

keith

Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like tanks
but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
"Tety Garf" <tetigarf@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> TG

I have the XPS laptop.

Tety Garf wrote:

> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?

While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
one biggie is how much are you willing to spend?

Notan

Tety Garf wrote:

> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?

Another question is, do you qualify for a Small Business purchase?

Although it seems to be (slowly) improving, Dell's service for
Home purchases has been somewhat less than stellar.

A purchase, through their Small Business division, affords you
the option of excellent service, although it'll cost you.

Once again, it boils down to how much you're willing to spend.

Notan

Keith wrote:

> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like tanks
> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.

The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.

Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.

Notan

keith

The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ 70
ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.

Keith wrote:

> The guy ask a question and you cannot handle it because I did not suggest
> Dell. Are you that narrow minded or are you just mentally handicapped (IQ 70
> ish?). Sorry, Dell would be my third or forth recommendation.

Clearly, the OP's interested in Dell.

Without any evidence to back up your claims of Dell being
"down on the list," your credibility is right up there with
tits on a boar.

Notan

keith

So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can read)
that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with three
number 21 chromosomes Noton.

Keith wrote:

> So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
> simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can read)
> that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with three
> number 21 chromosomes Noton.

You've proven, repeatedly, that your sole intention, in this newsgroup,
is to annoy those who have had good results with Dell.

You're an irritant, Keith. Nothing more, nothing less.

Notan

keith

OK, you win. Dell is just perfect and great. Dell is top notch service and
support. Dell does NO WRONG!
Noton, there are special programs for people like you. You should check into
some of them and stop fighting mental health.
> Keith wrote:
>>
>> So how do you know the OP is ONLY interested in a Dell? I think that is
>> simply your perception. Do some research, and you'll see (if you can
>> read)
>> that Dell is not top notch. Must be difficult going through life with
>> three
>> number 21 chromosomes Noton.
>
> You've proven, repeatedly, that your sole intention, in this newsgroup,
> is to annoy those who have had good results with Dell.
>
> You're an irritant, Keith. Nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Notan

The company I work for uses the Dell D600. We have them in use from
executives to assistants. To date, one hard drive had to be replaced. I do
PC setup and maintenance for them.

My 2 cents.

Karl

"Tety Garf" <tetigarf@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> TG

> Keith wrote:
>>
>> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
>> tanks
>> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
>
> The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
> and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
>
> Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
>
> Notan

Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.

Period.

Tom
(who's typing this on an X40).

P.S. To all you anti-Dellbots: surprised ya, didn't I

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Keith wrote:
> >>
> >> Toshiba makes a very good laptop. Also, the IBM laptops are built like
> >> tanks
> >> but they are pricy. For the $, Toshiba is hard to beat.
> >
> > The OP comes to a Dell newsgroup to ask about Dell models,
> > and Keith recommends Toshiba and IBM.
> >
> > Brilliant, Keith. Brilliant.
> >
> > Notan
>
> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
>
> Period.

The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.

And, didn't I read that IBM was going the way of most other manufacturers,
i.e., outsourcing support?

Notan

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:07:48 -0700, Notan wrote:

> Tety Garf wrote:
>>
>> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
>> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
>> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
>> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
>> Which model should I look for?
>
> While you've answered some of the important questions, already,

Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to be
returnable.

I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
the screen.

Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen 17"
P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.

This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:07:48 -0700, Notan wrote:
>
> > Tety Garf wrote:
> >>
> >> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few years
> >> and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> >> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two hours
> >> or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> >> Which model should I look for?
> >
> > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
>
> Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
> is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
> being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
> up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to be
> returnable.
>
> I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
> the screen.
>
> Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
> happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
> selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
> unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen 17"
> P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.
>
> This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.

Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?

Notan

This is just something that most laptop
>purchasers are unaware of.

Oh gripes! Just when I think I have resolved the problem of not getting
a desktop due to paying to get it all connected....you now educate me
about a problem with laptops? What are "dead" pixels and how do I know
they are dead if I check out a laptop, please? I had no idea how great
and trouble free webtv was until I started researching computers! Do
desktops have dead pixels too?

By the way, even though this is considered a Dell group, I could not
find as much helpful info on the others so I, for one, check this group
daily for help, recommendations and education on "all" computers. If
someone knows a better group for a variety of info, please advise.
Thanks!

Bea

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Tom Scales wrote:

[Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]

>> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
>> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
>> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
>>
>> Period.

>The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.

"... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
[except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
[at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
good time when he had time to check Usenet again.
--
OJ III

Tety Garf wrote:
> My first laptop - have been working with a Mac, a present, for few
> years and suffering from frustration syndrome!
> My needs: ordinary word-processing / download music (often for two
> hours or so) / burning CDs / mastering DVDs.
> Which model should I look for?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> TG

I'm quite happy with the Inspiron 9200 because I d/l music and watch DVDs.
I also connect mainly wireless (office, home and traveling) and it works
just fine.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:

> Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?

I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
what you were looking at.

--

Leythos wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
> >
> > Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
>
> I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
> didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
> what you were looking at.

CompUSA comes to mind, but I can't be sure.

It's an age thing! <g>

Notan

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >Tom Scales wrote:
>
> [Start of Notan/Keith cat-fight snipped]
>
> >> Actually, depending on his interest, I'd personally recommend the IBM,
> >> particularly if the desire is for an ultralight. There is no better
> >> ultralight than the Thinkpad X40.
> >>
> >> Period.
>
> >The OP still hasn't answered the $$$ question.
>
> "... *still* hasn't answered" [emphasis added], Notan? Whiskey
> Tango Foxtrot Oscar? The OP posted at 0042 GMT and you posted
> this at 0428 GMT, less than four hours later. I hate to break
> this to you, Notan, but this is not a chat group, it is a Usenet
> newsgroup; and Usenet news groups don't do real-time very often
> [except, seemingly, when you and Keith get into a food fight].
> As became clear later on, the OP is apparently located in the UK
> [at least the cost goal he quoted was in £], which means he was
> probably asleep when you slagged him with that sophomoric whinge.
> He has since answered, as is the custom on usenet, in his own
> good time when he had time to check Usenet again.

I wasn't pushing the OP for an answer, just stating that, without
knowing how much he wanted to spend, there was no way to give an
informed answer.

As far as your other post, regarding Keith and myself, I agree
with you, wholeheartedly... It's gone way too far. Killfile me,
do whatever. I'm just sick and tired of the bullshit (to use your
own word) of the constant attacks towards those who've had good
experience(s) with Dell.

Notan

| Leythos wrote:

| > > While you've answered some of the important questions, already,
| >
| > Here's something very important - while laptops are great, I hope the OP
| > is aware that all vendors allow for a certain number of DEAD PIXELS as
| > being fully acceptable on every laptop they sell. Some vendors allow for
| > up to 15 dead/malfunctioning pixels before they consider the laptop to
be
| > returnable.
| >
| > I would never buy a laptop unless I could try it, power it up and check
| > the screen.
| >
| > Many of our customers have purchased Dell laptops and have been very
| > happy, even with a couple dead pixels, but when I purchased for myself I
| > selected a local chain store (Circuit City) because they have a 14 day
| > unconditional return policy. I went through three Toshiba Wide Screen
17"
| > P4/3.2ghz systems before I found one without ANY bad pixels.
| >
| > This is just something that most laptop purchasers are unaware of.
|
| Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
|
| Notan

In Ohio we have Dell Kiosks in some of the Malls.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

I hope that all this exchange of opinions (bad and googd) are all in jest!

However, the first answer is: yes, I wanto to get a Dell.

You can see from my first request what I would like to achieve and my budget
up to £1.000 (including the 3 years garantee).

I am really grateful to you for taking the time to help me and look forward
to hear from you.

TG

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:26:04 -0700, Notan wrote:
>>
>> Wasn't Dell, at some point, selling through one (or more) of the chains?
>
> I've not seen any Dell's in stores, but I've seen Gateway stores - but you
> didn't actually buy from the store, you ordered and as such you didn't get
> what you were looking at.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me