Can't play games or chat

I have for about a month now not been able to Play any
games on the internet nor have i been able to chat. I
have done everything from upgrading my browser to IE6
I've emptyed my History and cookies what else can i try
please help
1 answer Last reply
More about play games chat
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    "Houmala" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a4ff01c486f6$baaa0d40$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    | I have for about a month now not been able to Play any
    | games on the internet nor have i been able to chat. I
    | have done everything from upgrading my browser to IE6
    | I've emptyed my History and cookies what else can i try
    | please help

    Hi Houmala,

    Online games are usually developed using Flash, Java, or Virtual Machine.
    The most likely solution to a problem with an online game is to install, upgrade,
    or reinstall the right one for the game site you're playing on.

    A. For Zone.com games: Zone.com are converting most of their games for Flash
    to avoid the conflicts between the Sun Java system and Microsoft's Virtual Machine.
    Install Flash from: http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/frameset.fhtml

    B. Most other game sites still use Java. You can install Java and find more help
    tips at this webpage: http://java.com/en/download/help/pogo.jsp

    C. If the online game still won't load, or gives you errors, try these steps:

    1. Click START / Control Panel / Internet Options and click on the Advanced Tab.

    2. Below HTTP 1.1 is the Sun Java/ Microsoft VM section: Make sure all Java choices
    are unchecked (especially JIT) and then press [OK]. You may be prompted to reboot.

    3. If you don't see a Microsoft VM section then download Microsoft Virtual Machine for:
    Windows 98 / Me / NT / XP from: http://www.abxair.com/software/msjavx86.exe

    4. After you download Java, double-click the file to install it, reboot and then follow
    the directions in Steps 1. and 2..to disable JIT compiler and other advanced options.

    * Whenever you get a Java Virtual Machine Security Update from Windows Update, you
    will have to follow Steps 1. and 2..to disable JIT compiler and other adv. options again.

    6. If the problem persists Adjust Your browser settings using this basic example:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#IE

    7. Try these suggestions for Zone's Java Games:
    http://classic.zone.msn.com/zzzz/help/helpjavagames.asp

    8. Maybe it's a software conflict: Make certain that your Firewall or Antivirus program is
    not configured to block Java Applets. Norton's products for example have that option.
    If you're unsure temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time, starting with Firewall,
    Antivirus & AdBlockers using: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=331796
    or this utility: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    9. If you have a Coffee Cup icon in your system tray (next to the time) you might have a
    conflict between MS VM and Java: Uninstall Java using Control Panel / Remove Programs.

    10. Check the Help / Support section of the game site in question for Java topics relevant to
    that site. There is usually an email or a (non Java) help chat available as well. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Games Microsoft Video Games