PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW MY NEW INTEL RIG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch0sen

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
Hey all,

I just wanna say thanks in advance for any and all input... I've never owned a computer my entire life, but i know everything about them.... except hardware... but after finally saving some cash.. i am going to build myself a nice a$$-kicking rig.

I'm really trying to get the most out of one ultimate rig without killing my savings... i'm trying for a high end gaming rig/ graphics (web, 3D redering[not models], video) workstation that will also handle my mp3 hoarding, cd burning, tv watching and regular day to day, word processing, web surfing, gaming etc...

I've done alot of researching on the hardware. But i am still not sure if these are the best parts. I'd really appreciate input on what i have spec'd out.. particulary in terms of performance, stability, compatibility with the above goals in mind... Also if i am missing any parts or the parts are not compatible please if you would write some advice for me on better parts and configurations.

ANTEC Performance PLUSVIEW LE (Limited Edition) Model PLUSVIEW1000AMG LE - with Side Window Snap-On Fan

Allied 400W Power Supply ATX400P4 w/ Two Fans

Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4P800 DELUXE Retail

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB w/ heatsink & fan, i am not planning to overclock

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 512MB(2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.Retail

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB -

ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP BULK

TV LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP TV/FM MULTIMEDIA CARD

LITE-ON 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S

LITE-ON XJ-HD166S/XJ-HD165H 16X DVD ROM Drive

*BLACK* PANASONIC 1.44 MB DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE, MODEL # JU-256A-198P

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

FYI - I really dont want to go out on a great sound system yet. So I'm just going with the integreated sound card with Plantronics DSP-500 headphones.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
eh... not bad.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

Since I have not checked Antec Web Site does the case come with PSU? IF not I would get red of the Allied PSU. Buy the Antec True 430 PSU. That will give you plenty of power. Don't buy cheap CPU!!!! You have a good system there. Don't ruin it with that PSU.

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
i would go with the antec true blue 480 or a 550 watt like i run now.
also the hard drive i would go with is a Western Digital Raptor (WD360GD) 36GB 10000RPM 8MB Buffer Serial ATA Hard Drive - OEM
maybe the other for storage.
otherwise looks good.
if money is a concern and your not overclocking why not go with a ASUS P4P800 i865PE 800FSB Dual DDR400 2xSerial ATA/ATA100 Motherboard - Retail w/ Audio Gigabit LAN
or is that the board you mentioned ? sorry if so.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, I wouldn't listen to all these guys hyping Antec power supplies, or even Antec cases! For power, I recommend the Fortron FSP400PFN 400W for $60. For a case, you'll find quite a few nice Chieftec cases <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/listProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=manufactory&catalog=7&manufactory=1502&description=" target="_new">HERE</A>.

Now as to why I recommended those: The FSP power supplies (also sold under the Sparkle Power, Aopen, and PC Power& Cooling brand names) are the best I've ever come across for quality and durability. And the recommendation for Chieftec case comes from the fact that Cheiftec MAKES Antec cases, they use the same chassis!

You could get a better TV card from Hauppauge (their midpriced cards have hardware MPEG2 encoding), or even get an All In Wonder video card (the AIW 9800 is announced but I don't know where to get it), for added features.

If you're not planning to overclock, the 2.4C seems a bit slow, you might consider the 2.6C or even 2.8C in the non-overclocking situation, depending on what you can afford. I'd overclock the 2.4 myself.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Status
Not open for further replies.