GeForce 6800 GTO Question

Mike

Splendid

Finally getting some time to spend with my "new" Dimension 8400 I
burned a DVD. I noted that the max speed I was getting was 8X. Odd
seeing how I should have a 16X burner. Opening Device Manager I see
that I have a different DVD+/-RW than listed on my packing slip. It's
a NEC model and I should have a Phillips. Then I decide to see what
video card listed is. It shows a standard GeForce 6800 instead of a
6800 GTO which is what should be on my system.

I purchased this system as a "refurbished" unit and have had several
parts missing, most notably, the Dell Resource CD, the Dell Backup
App's CD, the power cord, and the DVI to VGA adapter. Now I see that
I have a slower and differnet DVD burner than what is on the packing
list and now am concerned about the video card. It appears someone
got this system, yanked out some parts, replaced them with similar
part, and returned it to Dell. And Dell did not catch the switch in
hardware. Or am I just being paranoid ? LOL!

My question to anyone with a GeForce 6800 GTO is in Device Manager, is
the card listed as a "GTO", or just a 6800 ? Thanks.

Mike

Mike wrote:
> Finally getting some time to spend with my "new" Dimension 8400 I
> burned a DVD. I noted that the max speed I was getting was 8X. Odd
> seeing how I should have a 16X burner. Opening Device Manager I see
> that I have a different DVD+/-RW than listed on my packing slip. It's
> a NEC model and I should have a Phillips. Then I decide to see what
> video card listed is. It shows a standard GeForce 6800 instead of a
> 6800 GTO which is what should be on my system.
>
> I purchased this system as a "refurbished" unit and have had several
> parts missing, most notably, the Dell Resource CD, the Dell Backup
> App's CD, the power cord, and the DVI to VGA adapter. Now I see that
> I have a slower and differnet DVD burner than what is on the packing
> list and now am concerned about the video card. It appears someone
> got this system, yanked out some parts, replaced them with similar
> part, and returned it to Dell. And Dell did not catch the switch in
> hardware. Or am I just being paranoid ? LOL!
>
> My question to anyone with a GeForce 6800 GTO is in Device Manager, is
> the card listed as a "GTO", or just a 6800 ? Thanks.
>
> Mike

In terms of the DVD burner, which NEC model is listed. If it is a 3500
or 3520 then it is a 16x burner. Are you sure that the blank media that
you were using was 16x. Most media is still 8x rated, so that might
explain the burn speed.

In terms of the Dell Resource cd, I just purchased a "new" 8400 and it
did NOT come with a resource cd. I called Dell and they said that they
are NOT including the resource cd with systems anymore since you can
download all the drivers from the website. They will send you a cd
however if you call and request it.

In terms of the backup APP's cd, this is something that they don't send.
They now use a hidden restore partition on the hard drive where they
have preloaded the apps. So, if you decide to just install Windows on
your own, you will NOT have access to the other software that they
included. I called Dell about this on 2 occassions and got the same
answer both times.

I also didn't receive any DVI to VGA adapter with my system either. I
don't think that they just package those adapters with these systems.

Obviously you should have received a power cable. I would expect that
6800 GTO would show in device manager. You may not have actually gotten
the 6800 GTO card. Check through the propeties of the 6800 driver and
see if you can find the clock speeds anywhere. I used to have the plain
jane 6800 and this is what my clock speeds were
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
324 MHz / 598 MHz

Therefore, if you are seeing faster clock speeds than this, you likely
have the 6800 GTO. IF you are seeing these clock speeds, you indeed
have the 6800.

Hope this helps.

The 6800GTO (I assume you mean the BFG 6800GTOC) is listed in Display
Manager as: "Nvidia GeForce 6800GT" , atleast mine is.

"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
> Finally getting some time to spend with my "new" Dimension 8400 I
> burned a DVD. I noted that the max speed I was getting was 8X. Odd
> seeing how I should have a 16X burner. Opening Device Manager I see
> that I have a different DVD+/-RW than listed on my packing slip. It's
> a NEC model and I should have a Phillips. Then I decide to see what
> video card listed is. It shows a standard GeForce 6800 instead of a
> 6800 GTO which is what should be on my system.
>
> I purchased this system as a "refurbished" unit and have had several
> parts missing, most notably, the Dell Resource CD, the Dell Backup
> App's CD, the power cord, and the DVI to VGA adapter. Now I see that
> I have a slower and differnet DVD burner than what is on the packing
> list and now am concerned about the video card. It appears someone
> got this system, yanked out some parts, replaced them with similar
> part, and returned it to Dell. And Dell did not catch the switch in
> hardware. Or am I just being paranoid ? LOL!
>
> My question to anyone with a GeForce 6800 GTO is in Device Manager, is
> the card listed as a "GTO", or just a 6800 ? Thanks.
>
> Mike

bek

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003

"guess" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message news:1109958417.879367@news...
> The 6800GTO (I assume you mean the BFG 6800GTOC) is listed in Display
> Manager as: "Nvidia GeForce 6800GT" , atleast mine is.

Mine is listed as NVidia GeForce 6800 GTO. I think the 6800 GT is a
different animal.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
> Finally getting some time to spend with my "new" Dimension 8400 I
> burned a DVD. I noted that the max speed I was getting was 8X. Odd
> seeing how I should have a 16X burner. Opening Device Manager I see
> that I have a different DVD+/-RW than listed on my packing slip. It's
> a NEC model and I should have a Phillips. Then I decide to see what
> video card listed is. It shows a standard GeForce 6800 instead of a
> 6800 GTO which is what should be on my system.
>
> I purchased this system as a "refurbished" unit and have had several
> parts missing, most notably, the Dell Resource CD, the Dell Backup
> App's CD, the power cord, and the DVI to VGA adapter. Now I see that
> I have a slower and differnet DVD burner than what is on the packing
> list and now am concerned about the video card. It appears someone
> got this system, yanked out some parts, replaced them with similar
> part, and returned it to Dell. And Dell did not catch the switch in
> hardware. Or am I just being paranoid ? LOL!
>
> My question to anyone with a GeForce 6800 GTO is in Device Manager, is
> the card listed as a "GTO", or just a 6800 ? Thanks.

On my XPS it's listed as "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO" in Device Manager, same
in display properties.

As far as the DVD burner goes, am I correct in thinking it burns different
types of media at different speeds? I have one, but haven't tried it out
yet. I remember reading the specs somewhere when I was researching the
machine. This is purely from memory, so it may be completely wrong, but I
think it was something along the lines of:

DVD+R : 16x
DVD+RW : 8x
DVD-R : 8x
DVD-RW : 4x
DVD+R dual layer : 2.6x

I'm sure somebody else can confirm.

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:50:57 -0500, "Patrick L. Parks"
<TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote:

>In terms of the DVD burner, which NEC model is listed. If it is a 3500
>or 3520 then it is a 16x burner. Are you sure that the blank media that
>you were using was 16x. Most media is still 8x rated, so that might
>explain the burn speed.

That could be the case here. The Sony media does not have the speed
written on the disc so I can't confirm what it is rated at. But it's
definitely a NEC drive vs. the Phillips that is on the packing slip.

>In terms of the Dell Resource cd, I just purchased a "new" 8400 and it
>did NOT come with a resource cd. I called Dell and they said that they
>are NOT including the resource cd with systems anymore since you can
>download all the drivers from the website. They will send you a cd
>however if you call and request it.
>
>In terms of the backup APP's cd, this is something that they don't send.
> They now use a hidden restore partition on the hard drive where they
>have preloaded the apps. So, if you decide to just install Windows on
>your own, you will NOT have access to the other software that they
>included. I called Dell about this on 2 occassions and got the same
>answer both times.

Dell already copped up to this one and the CD's are on their way.
Again they were listed on the packing slip and if I have learned
anything about dealing with Dell and missing parts is if it ain't on
that packing slip then you won't get it :) I mentioned the DVI
adaptor because my buddy bought a new 8400 last week and he got one.
I did not :-( No biggie I already had one on hand :)

>Obviously you should have received a power cable.

Power cable is in the mail with the CD's. Like the adaptor I had
several on hand.

>I would expect that
>6800 GTO would show in device manager. You may not have actually gotten
>the 6800 GTO card. Check through the propeties of the 6800 driver and
>see if you can find the clock speeds anywhere. I used to have the plain
>jane 6800 and this is what my clock speeds were
>NVIDIA GeForce 6800
>324 MHz / 598 MHz

From your response Patrick and the one's that follow it does seem I
have been shorted one GF 6800 GTO video card :-( In device manager it
does not read like the other's who posted below it simply says Nvidia
GeForce 6800 Series GPU. D'OH!

>Hope this helps.

That it did and to the others who responded also. I would not mind
keeping this system but what if I find other missing or should I say
switched parts after the 14 return deadline ? Then I am stuck. This
is my forth Dell and the first time I have ever had a problem other
than one burned out video card back in my B600r.

I am still waiting to hear from them. One thing I can comment on
being a Dell customer for the last 10 years is that their supports has
gone south a bit or should I say East! LOL! Next time I am opting
for Gold Support! Indian Tech's might be as savvy as US Tech's but I
have a hard time conveying my issue and they always tend to pass me
around like some unwanted child :)

Thanks again guys,
Mike