Status
Not open for further replies.

haileydavey

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
As you can see I am a newcomer. I teach Social Studies to 5th Graders and I do video editing. I am taking on the Adobe Master Suite. I want to learn how to use After Effects and improve my skills in photoshop, Premiere, Dreamweaver, and well all the others. I need a Laptop that will be able to handle the Suite without problem. I would also like to keep under $1000. I get the program for I get the suite for under a $1000 due to being an educator. Please Help with your thoughts.

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Basically you should also think of your other requirements, such as:
- if you'd like a more mobile laptop to be on the go (better battery, lighter) or maybe more powerful desktop replacement (but heavier with worse battery life)
- what screen size and resolution do you want to get (higher resolutions than standard makes you get more working space and maybe better image, depending on application, but also icons/fonts/items are smaller, often too small for some people to see and you pay extra)

As for the software requirements that is photo/video editing you should rather look after better processor and more ram than other specs. Recently I was researching for a good "balanced" laptop for my brother and we chose one, that would suit also your needs I think: dell studio 15
I can see it looks now reasonably priced at 900$ on dell.com (after some rebate) with 4gb ram and quite powerful core i7 processor, it will also not stay behind with the graphics chip it has and has decent battery life. For higher resolution you pay extra

But maybe you want to consider a larger 17''+ screen laptop, with possibly higher resolution for your needs

Hope that helps

haileydavey

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
1_What is your budget?
Under $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Do not care!!

3_What screen resolution
do you want?
Also not important to me

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not important just need it to perform the Adobe Suite

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not a big deal, I will have access to power where ever I need it

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I believe it would have to be high for video editing

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
photo editing, video editing, and watching movies created by my students.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?e
320 or more, I can get more storage as needed

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I am open for whomever has the best deal. I have purchased from www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least a couple of years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
a DVD writer is good, I can upgrade with an external later if needed.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't t and explain the reasons.
Anything but Dell, Had bad luck with them

13_What country do you live in?
US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.an

Nothing other than the main software being used will be the Adobe Suite and Office

haileydavey

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
On the second one, is it worth the $150 more. The processor speed bench marks are not much more. I do not really know how much a difference a dedicated graphics card makes because I never owned one. Is is significant?

On the first one, I seen the benchmarks on the 7i and it is impressive. Same question is if worth $400 more. Will it be significant enough of an upgrade. Also what makes the ASUS better then the HP listed below with 500gb of memory and $50 less?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157113

Status
Not open for further replies.