Sign in with
Your question

Large folders that have been deleted and are not showing in the recycle bin

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2012 1:23:37 AM

Hello,
If I have deleted a folder that is too large to fit in the recycle bin where would I find it? And also how would I go about restoring it back to its original setting?
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 1:29:32 AM

If it was too large for the recycle bin then the delete function simply bypassed the bin and permanently deleted it. You won't find it anywhere in that case. Hope you had a backup.
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 1:38:47 AM

First, do not write ANY data to the drive then try to get back what you can with something like Recuva

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Only recover to another drive/network location/flash stuck/ect

Files are not deleted from a hard drive, but simply marked as FREE space. so as long as they do not get overwritten, you can get them back.

Its a bit harder on SSD's, but many times you can recover on those as well.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 1:42:25 AM

nukemaster said:
Its a bit harder on SSD's, but many times you can recover on those as well.

Newer SSD's do a form of garbage collection almost immediately upon a deletion, making recovery virtually impossible. I'm seeing this more frequently in my forensic work as SSD's become more mainstream.
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 1:55:18 AM

^ As nukemaster said that would be your best bet. But if you have already written to the drive it may be to late.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 11:03:28 AM

Your can also right-click your trash can and select properties. From there you can increase the size of the trash bin if needed. Of course this will only take effect for future deletions.
November 8, 2013 7:19:11 AM

anahera123 said:
Hello,
If I have deleted a folder that is too large to fit in the recycle bin where would I find it? And also how would I go about restoring it back to its original setting?

When files or folders are too large, it may be deleted forever as recycle bin has not enough space to fit the large file or folder. So those files or folder are permanently deleted. But do not worry, it is still possible to recover them, see this guide: http://goo.gl/7xOXfU

For the file the recovery, one important tip is that you should stop using the computer before you get back all lost files. This is because that continue using the computer may cause the space of deleted files to be overwritten, which may make the deleted files unrecoverable.

Next time always remember to back up your important data. Once you have them backed up, you will never worry about lose them again.
!