UPDATE: HSII Problems

Hi,

Well I have lowered the speed of my Supercharger, I disconnected the
centre magnet and all is good now.

As for the Kicker firing during play, I have so far changed its
MicroSwitch and Diode and still no joy, I also re-flashed the ROM and no
help there either, checked all connections and re-seated them accordingly
still doing it, I am thinking it must me a Phantom Switch but has anyone
ever had to find one in a Machine before? I have heard they usually
associate with Switches around the one with problems in the Matrix, could a
Diode be causing it on another Switch or could I have a faulty transistor on
the PDB? Is there also any way to see if the WPC CPU is telling it to fire?
I am thinking it has to be because if it was a faulty Transistor I would see
it firing during Attract Mode would I not?

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I think you say "kicker" you are talking about the up/down ramp you
spoke of earlier...yes? If so, put the game into edge test, and
wait...tap the playfield, etc. See if you get any sporadic switch
closures.

Did you ever run the up/down test? What did it say?

Barry - NY

>>As for the Kicker firing during play, I have so far changed its
>>MicroSwitch and Diode and still no joy,

What kicker is firing?

"freeman" <1pinhead@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What is the symtom you are observiing?

Ohhhh....thats a big difference! In your earlier post you spoke of the
ramp and "kicker" together. Anyway.

So...during play you see/hear the ball shooter fire, or only during
video mode? Ball trough switchers. It believes that the ball(s) is
still there. I just went through something similiar with my HS2. Pull
the apron, and double check all the switch wires, and test them all.
If this only happens on certain balls when others are locked, that's a
clue. Check the leftmost un-occupied switch when the problem occurs.

Barry - NY

Ok when I say Kicker it is the ball shooter that launches the ball into
play, I am thinking it has to be a faulty component causing this because it
done it during the video mode where there was no tapping/knocking on the pf
whatsoever.

Thanks again.

Kevin

<Backglass@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey Kevin,
>
> I think you say "kicker" you are talking about the up/down ramp you
> spoke of earlier...yes? If so, put the game into edge test, and
> wait...tap the playfield, etc. See if you get any sporadic switch
> closures.
>
> Did you ever run the up/down test? What did it say?
>
> Barry - NY

I would troubleshoot the switch matrix. Go into edge test and test
EVERY single switch in the game. Look for strange behavior such as
multiple switch closures or non-working switches.

Sojourner353 wrote:
> Yeah I did speak of the ramp and kicker together, the reason I did this
> is because when the kicker fires the ramp thinks a ball has been launched
> and if you are sooting for lock when this happens the ramp lifts because of
> this.
>
> Also I am sure this problem has nothing to do with the ball through
> switches, if there was a problem with them the ball eject assembly would be
> ejecting balls into the shooter lane.
>
> The symptoms are the right kicker is firing when there is no ball in the
> lane but there is a ball in play.
>
> Kevin
>
> <Backglass@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ohhhh....thats a big difference! In your earlier post you spoke of the
> > ramp and "kicker" together. Anyway.
> >
> > So...during play you see/hear the ball shooter fire, or only during
> > video mode? Ball trough switchers. It believes that the ball(s) is
> > still there. I just went through something similiar with my HS2. Pull
> > the apron, and double check all the switch wires, and test them all.
> > If this only happens on certain balls when others are locked, that's a
> > clue. Check the leftmost un-occupied switch when the problem occurs.
> >
> > Barry - NY

Yup...Rondo speaks the truth. Something in the matrix is shorted.

Barry - NY

Yeah I did speak of the ramp and kicker together, the reason I did this
is because when the kicker fires the ramp thinks a ball has been launched
and if you are sooting for lock when this happens the ramp lifts because of
this.

Also I am sure this problem has nothing to do with the ball through
switches, if there was a problem with them the ball eject assembly would be
ejecting balls into the shooter lane.

The symptoms are the right kicker is firing when there is no ball in the
lane but there is a ball in play.

Kevin

<Backglass@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ohhhh....thats a big difference! In your earlier post you spoke of the
> ramp and "kicker" together. Anyway.
>
> So...during play you see/hear the ball shooter fire, or only during
> video mode? Ball trough switchers. It believes that the ball(s) is
> still there. I just went through something similiar with my HS2. Pull
> the apron, and double check all the switch wires, and test them all.
> If this only happens on certain balls when others are locked, that's a
> clue. Check the leftmost un-occupied switch when the problem occurs.
>
> Barry - NY

> The symptoms are the right kicker is firing when there is no ball in the
>lane but there is a ball in play.
>
> Kevin

Here are a couple cheap things to check:

1. Is the gap on the kicker switches good from top to bottom of the
switches?

2. Are there any metal particles stuck in the switches? (wire sliver,
solder flecks)

Freeman
I would rather be happy then right.

When you say you "ran the edge test for 30 minutes", what does that
mean? You need to go into the edge test and manually activate every
switch in the matrix. Is that what you did?

Sojourner353 wrote:
> The gap on the actuator is all good and the switch is a brand new one
> including the diode.
>
> I ran a edge test for 30mins today and no problems came up, exited the
> edge test started a game then during the 3rd ball I was playing it kicked,
> finished the game left it on in attract mode and watched it for 30min
> nothing, its only happening when I am playing the game.
>
> Kevin
>
> "freeman" <1pinheadNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> The symptoms are the right kicker is firing when there is no ball in
> >> the
> >>lane but there is a ball in play.
> >>
> >> Kevin
> >
> > Here are a couple cheap things to check:
> >
> > 1. Is the gap on the kicker switches good from top to bottom of the
> > switches?
> >
> > 2. Are there any metal particles stuck in the switches? (wire sliver,
> > solder flecks)
> >

> > Freeman
> > I would rather be happy then right.

The gap on the actuator is all good and the switch is a brand new one
including the diode.

I ran a edge test for 30mins today and no problems came up, exited the
edge test started a game then during the 3rd ball I was playing it kicked,
finished the game left it on in attract mode and watched it for 30min
nothing, its only happening when I am playing the game.

Kevin

"freeman" <1pinheadNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> The symptoms are the right kicker is firing when there is no ball in
>> the
>>lane but there is a ball in play.
>>
>> Kevin
>
> Here are a couple cheap things to check:
>
> 1. Is the gap on the kicker switches good from top to bottom of the
> switches?
>
> 2. Are there any metal particles stuck in the switches? (wire sliver,
> solder flecks)
>

> Freeman
> I would rather be happy then right.

Yes I did, over and over and over and guess what over again and there is
nothing wrong with the matrix at all, I have re-flashed my rom to L2 from L5
and the problem seems to be gone now, thanks for the help to all with this.

Kevin