Black Knight Trouble Again.

Just got my Black Knight up and running after years of being down, Clive
fixed my boards..

I turn it on this morning and I smell a burning smell, I open the head up
and all the wires going to the power supply are hot and it smells like its
burning... Any Suggestions?

http://www.thechessmen.com/pinball.htm "My Humble Collection"

see http://marvin3m.com/sys37
Disconnect all the outter .156" plugs from the power supply.
The only plugs left will be the two square plugs in
lower right middle. Test the output voltages from the
power supply as described at the above link.
Across the top you should have +5, +12, +100, and -100
volts. On the left side you should have lamp matrix voltage
and solenoid voltage.

Harry Reimer wrote:
> Just got my Black Knight up and running after years of being down, Clive
> fixed my boards..
>
> I turn it on this morning and I smell a burning smell, I open the head up
> and all the wires going to the power supply are hot and it smells like its
> burning... Any Suggestions?

> http://www.thechessmen.com/pinball.htm "My Humble Collection"

Tough to diagnois with that small bit of info. Could be hundreds of
things, fuses, short in the wires, hot transformer, coil taking a dump,
etc. etc. Be a bit more specfic and I will do my best to help you out.

Chris

"Hooked" <robertcampbell2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Buy mine. :) just kidding.
> Could not resist.

If its a cpu and or a speech board, I have both for sale......

Fwed

Harry Reimer wrote:
> Just got my Black Knight up and running after years of being down, Clive
> fixed my boards..

Hi Harry. Yes, the CPU and driver boards were repaired back in March.

> I turn it on this morning and I smell a burning smell, I open the head up
> and all the wires going to the power supply are hot and it smells like its
> burning... Any Suggestions?

Any areas of the game or wiring look burned? Any coils locked on when
you power-up?

Clive
---
Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

The Coin-Op Cauldron
405 Wild Wing Way
Easley, SC 29642
(864)238-1707
http://www.coinopcauldron.com

> Harry Reimer wrote:
> > I turn it on this morning and I smell a burning smell, I open the head
up
> > and all the wires going to the power supply are hot and it smells like
its
> > burning... Any Suggestions?

Everything plugged in correctly? It's easy to swap two of the
playfield-to-backbox connectors in this game which can send high voltage
through the MPU board- the black and white connectors.

Whenever I'm powering up an "unknown" game, or installing boards in an empty
game, I always do it "one at a time" whenever/wherever possible. Install
the power supply first, plug in input power connectors only, then test for
proper output voltages before proceeding to install any other boards or hook
anything else up.

Then move on to the MPU/driver and displays.

This way, if there are any problems, you can catch them as you go and know
exactly what components are causing/allowing the problem to make itself
seen. Eliminates a lot of guesswork and drastically reduces the risk of
burning something up that otherwise didn't need to be in harm's way...

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Thanks guys for all the help AS ALWAYS. I havent had the heart to turn
it on again, I think I know what it is tho' when I powered it on I
noticed a lot of coils firing, in hind site, I think a coil is stuck, I
have not lifted the playfield yet or even turned it on again. I will do
it this weekend, but thanks for a great start.