Sign in with
Your question

ASUS VH242H Sporadic Flicker/Strobe-like problems.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 25, 2010 5:26:06 AM

Hi guys,

I seem to be having problems with 2 ASUS-VH242H monitors that I've purchased recently. The problem happens sporadically, and I can't seem to replicate it. It is not a warming issue because it happens even after an hour of being at the computer. The problem is that the backlight seems to flicker ever so slightly, enough for me to find it noticeable. I can't explain the effect, except that it's similar to how a CFC-white tube is dying, except that this time it's not dying, it's just flickering. If you have a laptop, and you have easy access to the brightness setting , try quickly hitting the lower brightness and upper-brightness (then keep repeating it back and forth). That is approximately what I'm experiencing except that it's not such an stark contrast.

Initially, I thought it was a dirty socket problem. So I tried connecting them at different places and then having them share the same socket. The problem occurs either way. However, in all instances, it always seem that one monitor (DVI) is always having it more noticeable then the HDMI cable.

So what do you guys think could be causing this? Is it a faulty monitor? Or is it dirty electricity? Or is it interference coming from neighboring apartments using a large electronic item that's causing an instability in the voltage? Or is it due to a crappy DVI cable (though it's digital...so I'm skeptical on this one)?I'm trying to understand the situation before having to go through the hassle of returning the monitors.

This problem has never happened on a Dell ST2410.

Thank you for your time in reading this, I really appreciate it!
-Cheers.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 23, 2010 4:41:43 PM

Hi PoisonWolf,
I second your proglem. I have to add, it is mighty irritating to me cuz I see it every time I see colored backgrounds. I also tried similar things you did, I also played around with a few settings like the ASCR. However, the funny thing is that it does not happen in "game" mode. I plan to contact ASUS about this.

Anyways, you find a solution yet ?

Erratosthenes
m
l
October 23, 2010 7:46:15 PM

Nope. I returned the monitors at the end of the day.
m
l
!