Dark Screen on Inspiron 3000

I just got my first laptop. A used Dell Inspiron 3000. The screen is
so dark that the computer is almost worthless. I did a little
research on how to brighten the monitor (FN key + up arrow to
brighten, down arrow to darken it.) When I press the fn key arrow
combination the little readout above the keyboard shows a padlock, but
no change to the brightness. So it appears that the FN up and down
arrow combination is not working. What might cause this?

Thank you very much in advance for any help,
Larry
3 answers Last reply
More about dark screen inspiron 3000

    Your LCD INVERTER is dead. Time to replace that.

    --

    ------Splitskull-----

    "Larry" <larryclutch@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | I just got my first laptop. A used Dell Inspiron 3000. The screen is
    | so dark that the computer is almost worthless. I did a little
    | research on how to brighten the monitor (FN key + up arrow to
    | brighten, down arrow to darken it.) When I press the fn key arrow
    | combination the little readout above the keyboard shows a padlock, but
    | no change to the brightness. So it appears that the FN up and down
    | arrow combination is not working. What might cause this?
    |
    | Thank you very much in advance for any help,
    | Larry

    Faulty backlight or backlight power supply (inverter) - about $50 in parts;
    $100 in labor to replace.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message news:<c6eqc0$b59oq$1@ID-84332.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > Faulty backlight or backlight power supply (inverter) - about $50 in parts;
    > $100 in labor to replace.
    >

    > "Larry" <larryclutch@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I just got my first laptop. A used Dell Inspiron 3000. The screen is
    > > so dark that the computer is almost worthless. I did a little
    > > research on how to brighten the monitor (FN key + up arrow to
    > > brighten, down arrow to darken it.) When I press the fn key arrow
    > > combination the little readout above the keyboard shows a padlock, but
    > > no change to the brightness. So it appears that the FN up and down
    > > arrow combination is not working. What might cause this?
    > >
    > > Thank you very much in advance for any help,
    > > Larry

    Thanks for the replies,
    Where online might somebody find the parts to fix this? Secondly, how
    can I troubleshoot which of the two things is the problem, or should I
    just replace both?
    Again, thanks for the replies

Dell Computers