MAC address filter enabled, yet new wifi adapter could con..

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi,
Interesting problem of some concern, I received a replacement SMC 2435W
wifi pc card to replace a defective one. I inserted the new card into the
laptop and got instant connection to the router (192.168.2.1) and to the
Internet. Yet I later noticed I hadn't updated the MAC address table with the
MAC address of the new card (it's different from the MAC address of the old
card). Yet the new card connected no problem.

I also noticed that although I have "broadcast SSID" disabled, the
software for the pc card shows my MN-500 router's SSID (others have posted
that the SSID is broadcast anyways, so my wifi network isn't at all invisible
to others as I thought).

I'm a little concerned that I may not have my security settings correct. In
summary, I have WEP enabled, with 64 bit word, and have two entries in the
MAC address table (my pc Card and my PDA). I have "enable Association
control" checked and "deny" unspecified MAC addreses to associate. Yet it
seemed the new pc card was able to associate without my updating my MAC list.
Any hints on what I may have missed.

-Tony
Apologies of posted twice, error 1st time.

I have association control set the same way -- and has been
working fine. What router model are you using, 500 or 700?

Does the card actually have a different MAC address? On
some cards, the MAC address is assigned by software -- it's
possible it just recovered the previous MAC (strange, but
worth checking).

Can you check the MAC address of the card, on the MBNU or
the router?

Otherwise what do you get on the security/logs of the
router once it connects?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I'd have a chance to try them by
now, but not yet. Just wanted to acknowledge your suggestion for now.

-Tony