Add or Remove Programs has lots of White Space

MS Windows Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack2) XP
Professional completely updated running Norton Anti-virus

I open Add or Remove Programs.

Only a few programs appear. They all begin with the letter a, like Adobe.

I notice the right scroll button is very small.

I start scrolling down the window. I scroll for a very long way. There are
no programs listed. When I get almost to the bottom, I see the rest of the
programs - those that begin with the letters b through z.

This occurs when I select from the Control Panel or run appwiz.cpl.

How can I eliminate the space between the program names in Add or Remove
Programs?

Thanks.

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----
***
From anonymous poster...

One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6AE4DA69-05AC-4F4C-BD64-3C42C55D723D@microsoft.com,
WayneS <WayneS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> MS Windows Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:Service
> Pack2) XP Professional completely updated running Norton Anti-virus
>
> I open Add or Remove Programs.
>
> Only a few programs appear. They all begin with the letter a, like Adobe.
>
> I notice the right scroll button is very small.
>
> I start scrolling down the window. I scroll for a very long way. There
> are no programs listed. When I get almost to the bottom, I see the rest
> of the programs - those that begin with the letters b through z.
>
> This occurs when I select from the Control Panel or run appwiz.cpl.
>
> How can I eliminate the space between the program names in Add or Remove
> Programs?
>
> Thanks.

Wesley,

I manually changed the -1 to a 1 in the registry entry and that removed the
white space.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Thank you very much.
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Just to let you know that the problem will happen again. At least you know
how to put a band-aid on it.

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.