Windows Media Player issues.

barbarianhorde

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hey guy's so I've run into a bit of an issue with Windows Media Player. I installed a new codec package so that I could watch a few different video types (Normally the xvid Codec Pack covers pretty much everything, but it didn't in this case). Once that codec package was installed I was no longer able to open up .MP4 files in WMP which was the primary player I used to watch them, the error that keeps coming up is "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." Long story short, I uninstalled said codec pack, uninstalled, then reinstalled windows media player and I'm still not able to play .mp4 files in there. Aside from formatting the computer I'm not quite sure how to get this working again, It's kind of a pain in the ass because that's the default player I always use.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Too late for this advice - - never install any so called "codec packs" as they can corrupt Windows media Player & cause conflicts with default codecs which Windows installs.

If you need to be able to play video types which WMP doesn't recognise, install the excellent "VLC media player" which can play almost anything you throw at it. It installs it's own codecs but keeps them isolated from WMP and other media players so they can't cause any conflicts. Get it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html