Change Active to Inactive Partition

I have a disk that has a partition marked active that should not be.
Is there anyway to mark a partition as Inactive, other than deleting
it, with Windows XP?
Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about change active inactive partition

    Start > run > diskmgmt.msc

    Right-click on the partition you would like to be active > Mark Partition as
    active

    Jon

    "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a disk that has a partition marked active that should not be. Is
    >there anyway to mark a partition as Inactive, other than deleting it, with
    >Windows XP?
    > Thanks!

    I need to mark a partition as INactive - How to do that?
    --

    "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    > Start > run > diskmgmt.msc
    >
    > Right-click on the partition you would like to be active > Mark
    > Partition as active
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a disk that has a partition marked active that should not
    >>be. Is there anyway to mark a partition as Inactive, other than
    >>deleting it, with Windows XP?
    >> Thanks!

    The way I suggested works if you are simply switching partitions (marking
    one as active, marks another as inactive).

    If that's not the case, then one way is to boot to DOS and use a tool like
    mbrtool.exe to edit the partition table directly (basically it's only one
    byte within the partition table that determines whether a partition is
    marked as active or not)

    Typical partition table in the MBR (each row is for a different partition)

    80 01 01 00 07 FE FF FF 3F 00 00 00 A3 21 F5 06
    00 00 C1 FF 07 FE FF FF E2 21 F5 06 3B 8B 38 01
    00 00 C1 FF 07 FE FF FF 1D AD 2D 08 3F 82 3E 00
    00 00 C1 FF 07 FE FF FF 5C 2F 6C 08 69 B0 E5 00

    The first byte (either 80 or 00) is the flag for active or inactive
    80= active
    00= inactive

    You can use a tool like mbrtool to change the value of the first byte in the
    row

    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm

    >I need to mark a partition as INactive - How to do that?
    > --
    >
    > "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    >> Start > run > diskmgmt.msc
    >>
    >> Right-click on the partition you would like to be active > Mark
    >> Partition as active
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have a disk that has a partition marked active that should not
    >>>be. Is there anyway to mark a partition as Inactive, other than
    >>>deleting it, with Windows XP?
    >>> Thanks!

    Couldn't find one that specifically marks an active parittion inactive
    within the XP environment with no other changes, including diskpart. Shame
    on MS.

    If its FAT32, you may try fdisk from a boot diskette. 3rd party for NTFS,
    like a current version of Paragon or Partition Magic.

    "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have a disk that has a partition marked active that should not be.
    > Is there anyway to mark a partition as Inactive, other than deleting
    > it, with Windows XP?
    > Thanks!

    Thanks will give the MBRtool a try.
    --

    > The way I suggested works if you are simply switching partitions
    > (marking one as active, marks another as inactive).
    >
    > If that's not the case, then one way is to boot to DOS and use a
    > tool like mbrtool.exe to edit the partition table directly
    > (basically it's only one byte within the partition table that
    > determines whether a partition is marked as active or not)
    >
    > Typical partition table in the MBR (each row is for a different
    > partition)
    >
    > 80 01 01 00 07 FE FF FF 3F 00 00 00 A3 21 F5 06
    > 00 00 C1 FF 07 FE FF FF E2 21 F5 06 3B 8B 38 01
    > 00 00 C1 FF 07 FE FF FF 1D AD 2D 08 3F 82 3E 00
    > 00 00 C1 FF 07 FE FF FF 5C 2F 6C 08 69 B0 E5 00
    >
    > The first byte (either 80 or 00) is the flag for active or
    > inactive
    > 80= active
    > 00= inactive
    >
    > You can use a tool like mbrtool to change the value of the first
    > byte in the row
    >
    > http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I need to mark a partition as INactive - How to do that?
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    >>> Start > run > diskmgmt.msc
    >>>
    >>> Right-click on the partition you would like to be active > Mark
    >>> Partition as active
    >>>
    >>> Jon
    >>>
    >>> "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message

Windows 7 Partition Microsoft