cant view files on data CD

I just got a new computer for my kids and have some CDs with files on them
that I want to copy over. Inserting the CD, the autoplay detects the fact
that there are some pictures on it and asks me if I want to view them (the
disk can be read and the pictures can be read). My problem is that if I go in
to explorer to retrieve all of the files on the disk (.doc, .xls, .txt,
etc...) I double-click on the drive with the CD in it and NOTHING happens. I
tired the right-click Open and explore options as well and nothing will allow
me to view the file structure on the CD and copy the files. The CD burning
software that I have displays the file sturcture just fine but it doesn't
have a way for me to copy the files over to the PC. Ideas?? Is there some
kind of a 'let me see the files on a data CD' option that I need to set
somewhere. I have been using XP at work and on my other computer without
running in to anything like this.
4 answers Last reply
More about cant view files data

    How did you copy them to the CD?
    Is the same software installed on their machine?

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "cje" <cje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a new computer for my kids and have some CDs with files on them
    > that I want to copy over. Inserting the CD, the autoplay detects the fact
    > that there are some pictures on it and asks me if I want to view them (the
    > disk can be read and the pictures can be read). My problem is that if I go
    > in
    > to explorer to retrieve all of the files on the disk (.doc, .xls, .txt,
    > etc...) I double-click on the drive with the CD in it and NOTHING happens.
    > tired the right-click Open and explore options as well and nothing will
    > allow
    > me to view the file structure on the CD and copy the files. The CD burning
    > software that I have displays the file sturcture just fine but it doesn't
    > have a way for me to copy the files over to the PC. Ideas?? Is there some
    > kind of a 'let me see the files on a data CD' option that I need to set
    > somewhere. I have been using XP at work and on my other computer without
    > running in to anything like this.

    thanks for the reply!

    I copied them to the CD using windows explorer on a machine running windows
    XP Professional...the computer having the problem is also running windows XP
    professional.

    Interestingly enough, all of the other CDs that I have such as CDs with
    print drivers for the new printer I got or installation CDs for software have
    the same problem...autoplay can use the CD to install the software (i.e. it
    can read the CD) but yet I can not actually view and/or copy the files from
    the CD in explorer

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

    > How did you copy them to the CD?
    > Is the same software installed on their machine?
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    >

    > "cje" <cje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just got a new computer for my kids and have some CDs with files on them
    > > that I want to copy over. Inserting the CD, the autoplay detects the fact
    > > that there are some pictures on it and asks me if I want to view them (the
    > > disk can be read and the pictures can be read). My problem is that if I go
    > > in
    > > to explorer to retrieve all of the files on the disk (.doc, .xls, .txt,
    > > etc...) I double-click on the drive with the CD in it and NOTHING happens.
    > > tired the right-click Open and explore options as well and nothing will
    > > allow
    > > me to view the file structure on the CD and copy the files. The CD burning
    > > software that I have displays the file sturcture just fine but it doesn't
    > > have a way for me to copy the files over to the PC. Ideas?? Is there some
    > > kind of a 'let me see the files on a data CD' option that I need to set
    > > somewhere. I have been using XP at work and on my other computer without
    > > running in to anything like this.

    Then I have no idea. Sorry.

    --

    > thanks for the reply!
    >
    > I copied them to the CD using windows explorer on a machine running
    > windows
    > XP Professional...the computer having the problem is also running windows
    > XP
    > professional.
    >
    > Interestingly enough, all of the other CDs that I have such as CDs with
    > print drivers for the new printer I got or installation CDs for software
    > have
    > the same problem...autoplay can use the CD to install the software (i.e.
    > it
    > can read the CD) but yet I can not actually view and/or copy the files
    > from
    > the CD in explorer
    >

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >
    >> How did you copy them to the CD?
    >> Is the same software installed on their machine?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> Protect your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
    >>

    >> "cje" <cje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I just got a new computer for my kids and have some CDs with files on
    >> >them
    >> > that I want to copy over. Inserting the CD, the autoplay detects the
    >> > fact
    >> > that there are some pictures on it and asks me if I want to view them
    >> > (the
    >> > disk can be read and the pictures can be read). My problem is that if I
    >> > go
    >> > in
    >> > to explorer to retrieve all of the files on the disk (.doc, .xls, .txt,
    >> > etc...) I double-click on the drive with the CD in it and NOTHING
    >> > happens.
    >> > tired the right-click Open and explore options as well and nothing will
    >> > allow
    >> > me to view the file structure on the CD and copy the files. The CD
    >> > burning
    >> > software that I have displays the file sturcture just fine but it
    >> > doesn't
    >> > have a way for me to copy the files over to the PC. Ideas?? Is there
    >> > some
    >> > kind of a 'let me see the files on a data CD' option that I need to set
    >> > somewhere. I have been using XP at work and on my other computer
    >> > without
    >> > running in to anything like this.

    I have resolved this - very strange but I went in to the intranet security
    settings (not internet but intranet) and changed everything that was set to
    'disabled' to 'prompt' and things started working. I'm not sure if Dell sets
    some of the options strangely or what the real issue was but it is working
    now!

Computers CD-Rom Windows XP