WPC 95 AV boards failing..wayne?

I'm just wondering if and hoping that Wayne will make us replacement
wpc95 av boards. I allready got 2 local friends who have a av board
with a broken asic (dead sound)..unrepairable

Hopefully this isn't going to be a trend, or all our beloved pinballs
of the wpc95 era are going to be broken without repair possible cause
of the broken asic.

I have bought a spare asic, just in case...
4 answers Last reply
More about boards failing wayne

    >>I'm just wondering if and hoping that Wayne will make us replacement
    >>wpc95 av boards. I allready got 2 local friends who have a av board
    >>with a broken asic (dead sound)..unrepairable

    Are they sure it's the ASIC? More often than not the ADSP has contact problems.
    Just yesterday I bought back a DCS from the dead by just resoldering it. They can
    try by pressing hard on it. If it boots it's the DSP.

    >>Hopefully this isn't going to be a trend, or all our beloved pinballs
    >>of the wpc95 era are going to be broken without repair possible cause
    >>of the broken asic.
    >>
    >>I have bought a spare asic, just in case...

    Me too.

    Does anyone know what's the going rate for dead unhacked AV baords? Would like to
    buy 2 to 5 for me and two friends.

    Regards
    Frank-Rainer Grahl
    (frgrahl@REMOVE.ME.gmx.net)

    Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
    >>>I'm just wondering if and hoping that Wayne will make us replacement
    >>>wpc95 av boards. I allready got 2 local friends who have a av board
    >>>with a broken asic (dead sound)..unrepairable
    >>

    > Are they sure it's the ASIC? More often than not the ADSP has contact problems.
    > Just yesterday I bought back a DCS from the dead by just resoldering it. They can
    > try by pressing hard on it. If it boots it's the DSP.

    Trust me, I've fixed plenty of DCS and A/V boards and if you've fixed a
    DCS board that had a cold solder joint then consider yourself *very*
    lucky. :-) I have never seen a DSP failure on an A/V board (plenty on
    the DCS booard though). The glue logic in the A/V ASIC that deals with
    the DSP fails resulting in loss of audio but the video continues to
    work. A classic tell-tale sign of this is the video continues to run but
    the LED fails to strobe and remains off (along with the audio).

    In every case that an A/V ASIC has been available and exchanged on the
    board, it's cured the audio loss problem when all other problems have
    been eliminated. Also, if you get RAM errors on the A/V board, it's
    usually the same root problem.

    >>>Hopefully this isn't going to be a trend, or all our beloved pinballs
    >>>of the wpc95 era are going to be broken without repair possible cause
    >>>of the broken asic.
    >>>
    >>>I have bought a spare asic, just in case...
    >>

    > Me too.

    It's been a trend for some time now. :-)

    > Does anyone know what's the going rate for dead unhacked AV baords? Would like to
    > buy 2 to 5 for me and two friends.

    Enquiries have been made into the future availability of Wms ASICs and
    we're waiting for information. My suggestion would be to hang on to
    those faulty A/V boards because there is a possibility they may get
    their voice back.

    Clive
    ---
    Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

    The Coin-Op Cauldron
    405 Wild Wing Way
    Easley, SC 29642
    (864)238-1707
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    >>Trust me, I've fixed plenty of DCS and A/V boards and if you've fixed a
    >>DCS board that had a cold solder joint then consider yourself *very*
    >>lucky. :-) I have never seen a DSP failure on an A/V board (plenty on
    >>the DCS booard though). The glue logic in the A/V ASIC that deals with
    >>the DSP fails resulting in loss of audio but the video continues to
    >>work. A classic tell-tale sign of this is the video continues to run but
    >>the LED fails to strobe and remains off (along with the audio).

    I was lucky with one A/V board from a friend. Cold solder joint on the DSP. Did
    boot up when pressing on it. Wouldn't have touched the Asic because I do not have
    the equipment. Same with two DCS. The third one had a broken trace. Looked like it
    was a problem out of the factory. So I wouldn't completely rule this problem out.

    Regards
    Frank-Rainer Grahl
    (frgrahl@REMOVE.ME.gmx.net)

    >Enquiries have been made into the future availability of Wms ASICs
    and
    >we're waiting for information. My suggestion would be to hang on to
    >those faulty A/V boards because there is a possibility they may get
    >their voice back.

    Good to know that action is being taken to keep those newer machines
    repairable. Lets keep the fingers crossed. Please inform us of future
    developments...thanks!

Games Video Games