Help me Obewan! You're my only hope

Zardoz

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Any thoughts on why my system won't boot?? [background = i was playing on the PlanetSide server when the game started into slideshow mode and then locked up. Unable to get out, I hit the restart button on my PC. The monitor stayed blank.] I didn't even get the Video bios or POST screens, monitor is a complete blank. I checked the monitor by booting up my other system, it's fine. I bypassed the KVM switch and connected the monitor cable directly into my first system- still nothing.. Replaced the Vid card.. nothing.. the Tech at Comp USA suggested resetting my CPU. I bought a new one and still no go.. I then swapped all the pieces back onto my old MoBo, which was working when I last used it.. Nothing. I'm at my wit's end. any thoughts? Fans are running, LED on MoBo is lit.

endyen

Splendid
Last time I saw something like this it was a blown modem,the time before it was a burned sound card. Try a basic boot ( no pci cards optical drives floppy or hdd).See if you ca get to bios. Then add stuff back and check each piece. The part that wont let you boot is the problem.

Zardoz

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Thanks for the quick reply, endyen. I hadn't tried disconnecting all of the IDE drives.. it didn't help tho. Still won't boot. I stripped it down to just the CPU, MoBo and Video card. I put back my old NVidia card so the video bios would match [the new card is an ATI] Then, I started peeling out RAM one stick at at time. Hell I even tried swapping out power supplies. SO.. I guess I'm left with 3 choices, 1] my fairly new Dragon Ultra has failed (and mysteriously so has my original Dragon board while sitting in the static wrap in a box on the shelf) 2] the brand new XP 2100+ is DOA or 3] the new ATI won't work because the video bios is NVidia and my Old G-Force 2 died a likewise mysterious death in a package on a shelf. any thoughts? anyone?

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Sorry for asking, but have you tried to reset the BIOS?

Because it sounds like it has entered some kind of sleep state and won't wake up. Is the CPU fan spinning? Have you tried to switch the PSU with your other system?

But since you say that the parts are fairly new you ought to have some kind of warranty. send the mobo in!

GL

Turk

endyen

Splendid
Try to see what happens if you unplug the reset switch.It might be jammed. If that isn't it, pull everything apart and set up the board out of the case with one stick of ram freshly seated,check the pins on the cpu and reinsert it with the fan Plug in the fan a video card and the keyboard. From th case only connect the power switch.Guess you will have to connect the psu as well. Just the bare minimun.Clear the bios and then start.May the force be with you.