Remove Item from IE Drop Down Menu

August 17, 2005 8:01:29 PM

Is there a way to remove an item from the File drop down menu in IE 6? The
item that I would like to remove is "Edit with Microsoft Word for Windows
97." It seems that whenever I click on this option I receive an error
message telling me to run the Word setup program again because a file is
missing or corrupt. Since it is an option I can live without, I would
prefer to remove it from IE completely.

Thanks

More about : remove item drop menu

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:28:16 PM

Hi,
Run REGEDIT. Navigate to this key:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell]
Export that key (Select it> Registry> Export.) That will allow you to undo
the edit if necessary.
Find the key under that key which represents "Edit with Office 97" and
delete it. Close registry editor. You may have t restart for this to take
effect.

Creating a System Restore point before editing the registry would provide
yet another backup of the registry.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Warren" <unknown[at]cox.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to remove an item from the File drop down menu in IE 6?
The
> item that I would like to remove is "Edit with Microsoft Word for Windows
> 97." It seems that whenever I click on this option I receive an error
> message telling me to run the Word setup program again because a file is
> missing or corrupt. Since it is an option I can live without, I would
> prefer to remove it from IE completely.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:19:01 PM

There should be a couple of ways to remove the item, though leaving it
there and not clicking it would seem easier.

Try Control Panel-Folder Options-File Types.
Go down to HTML Document
Click Advanced.
Check if Edit with WinWord (or similar) is one of the options there.
You may have to use Edit to see more detail if it is not obvious.
(I don't have Word97 installed in XP, so I cannot be exact)
If you are satisfied that you have the correct item, then remove it.

Another option is to use Regedit (with care)
Start-Run-Regedit
You may investigate this Registry key: (may wrap)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
Editor\shell\edit\command
This seems to be where the current default is held.

This key holds the choices that appear.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithList

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html