PC hanging problem

kamoflarjer

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
MY custom built PC is running fine apart from one thing: After running for awhile it will hang on basic tasks such as opening internet explorer and viewing system info in 'my computer' normally these tasks are performed instantly, but during this it takes up to 10 seconds. I am not overclocking anything. Everything is standard. Temperatures are fine, plenty of RAM available when it happens, CPU usage low. The only thing I can do is restart the PC and it will run fine for hours. Also one an application starts I can run it fine like games will perform normally it's just things like internet explorer, chrome and some other basic tasks like using explorer.

My specs:

I5 3570K - CPU
Asus P8Z77-V LK - mobo
60 GB Corsair Force 3 GT SSD (OS installed on this)
2TB Seagate barracuda secondary drive.
8GB (2x4GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz memory 1.5v
GPU: Asus HD7850
Corsair HX1050 PSU

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Have a check in task manager ctrl+altGr+del.
Take a good look at processes see if there is any file taking up alot of cpu cycle time.
If so it may be a case of malware. Mediacentre.exe virus. is a good example its a nasty little ah heck and can suck cpu usage. if the case Mallware bytes will sort it out. the other file to look for is stdrd.exe in start up its a virus ect linked to Mediacentre.exe
I have had to remove this on a few systems exhibiting the behavior you are describing.

kamoflarjer

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

It has plenty of CPU power and I cannot see those processes you are describing. thanks anyway

let me help you out there weasel explaining taskmanager.. Ok obviously you hold ctrl and alt keys and press delete and then select view open processes in taskmanager. And window should come up. You will see little tabs and one should say "processes" then sort the column "names" and scroll to the "m's" and look for the mediacentre.exe as defined by weasel. Malware is a real bitch because it eats at your CPU usage and that's about it. Just like a blaster virus kinda just eats up your network

kamoflarjer

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Possibly. It seems to happen also when I try to install certain .exe programs like this driver finder I recently Installed caused it upon execution. CPU and ram usage are low though so why hanging?

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I going to suggest something crazy..... run memtest, or since your running 7 you can use the memory diagnostic included in 7.
Might not have anything to do with memory, but at least you can rule it out if its fine.

kamoflarjer

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

I did windows 7 memory test and that was fine. Have uninstalled my Anti-Virus software. I will report back soon with an update.