Strange behaviour with XP on a fresh install

August 17, 2005 5:02:31 PM

Sorry if this is an "old topic" but I have had a brief look through the
forums to see if there were similar problems.

A few weeks ago XP (pro) crashed terminally on my machine. This was
after a year of near perfect stability. So I reformatted the HD and
re-installed the OS + the standard mobo drivers plus all the updated
drivers from the web and also SP2. I ten installed a limited number of
programs - Office XP - Spy Bot - NOD32 AV - Mozilla. All of these had
been working fine prior to the initial crash.

All my documents etc are all on another partition and remain there.

Now each time I start up XP I get a message saying that XP has repaired
the registry from a copy. Also whenever I click on anything, even a
minimise or resize button, or an Icon, basically anything interacting
with Windows, the system freezes for upto about 10 seconds. I have had
task manager open but does not show anything. Also Windows takes longer
to boot up - Up to a minute yet previously this would be 45 secs max.

What can I run to trace whats happening. Has anyone seen similar things
going on.

I have scanned for trojans and viruses

One frustrated XP user.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:46:56 PM

Sorry - some more information on this.
On a number of reboots chkdsk runs repairing various files. Each time
its a different file. I have run PM8 to check sectors as well.

I have also updated with the various latest windows updates
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:50:02 PM

Have you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drive(s)? Your drive
could be preparing to die on you.

!