Password protected sharing for specific folders without same account

TheGrunger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I password-protected one of my shared folders, so that only I have access to it. I did that by sharing that folder only with my username. The problem is that if I want to go to the folder from another computer, I need account with same username on that computer.

For example, I have a laptop with same username as on my desktop one. If both accounts have the same password, I can access the folder freely. If I change password on my laptop, I can still access the folder, but I have to type-in username and desktop's password.
But if I want to access the folder from my sister's computer, it just gives me "you don't have permission" warning because I don't have an account on her computer.
What I want is that it asks me for username and password (as it does on my laptop) even if I don't have account on a computer that I'm on. I think it's probably not possible though, since I specifically said to my computer to only share the folder only with my username (which translates to "my account").

So is there any other way of password-protected sharing for specific folders that doesn't require my account on other computers?

Thanks in advance!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
On your sister's computer you can create a mapped drive to the shared folder on your desktop. When you are first mapping the drive, Windows will ask you to enter a user name and password to use for access. ""Use your username and password, and tell it to remember these settings (if the option is there). This should work for you. If not, let me know and I will look up the command line for doing so and you can try it as a automated batch file.

Cheers!