Installing Hyper Threading. Hard?

enricong

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I will be getting a ProStar Notebook soon which comes with a P4 3.06Ghz Hyper-Threading CPU. (with WinXP)

The first thing I plan to do is format the drive and reinstall windows. They tell me that getting Hyper-Threading to work is very difficult and if I ever need to re-install windows, I should just send in the laptop again.

From what I have read, windows will automatically detect hyperthreading and at the most I just need a BIOS update. But if I am getting the laptop with HT enabled, and just re-installing windows, I do not even need to update the BIOS.

So I would like to know how difficult it is to get HT to work when installing WinXP. Is there something I'm missing?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've never done it myself ... yet, but I've never <i>heard</i> of it being difficult. It's supposed to be automatic. Just flip a switch in BIOS and violla. Sounds to me like they're lying through their teeth to you about how hard it'll be.

<font color=purple><pre><b>There are 10 types of people in this world: those who can understand binary and those who can't.</b></pre><p></font color=purple>