Did your computer start to freeze or lock up since august ..

Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
togather!!
11 answers Last reply
More about computer start freeze lock august

    Andy wrote:
    > Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
    > unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
    > computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
    > togather!!

    Yes it sort of did for me. And clearly the culprit *was* Windows
    Update.

    I just updated the latest 6 critical KB's, re-booted, and now I can not
    browse the WWW. Networking is fine. Just no WEB.

    Un-installing each KB and re-booting between each one (just in case) --
    Nope. Still screwed.

    Lester Stiefel wrote:
    > Wrong, people. It's not these KB updates. I have these and
    > all is well. XP home on box 2, and XP pro SP2 on box 1 (used
    > for main networking).
    >
    > Check your defrag and disk tuneup reports for problems. If
    > the drive is more than 20% fragmented, you could have
    > application errors, causing "no network access" for
    > browsing. I've had that before.

    Ah, the fragmentation myth is alive and well I see....

    For this "people", I updated, installing the 6 latest fixes, re-boot,
    then no network access.

    It is fairly easy to mis-apply a network setting, or to configure the
    TCP/IP settings wrong, and some programs can cause that... but
    Microsoft's Update clearly was the source of the problem for me.

    Now, that is not to say that previously some application "was not being
    nice" and munged something, and XP just "let is slide" and now that I
    "updated" XP decided to "be strict" and so therefore I now have no
    Internet access. (Which is pretty far-fetched but certainly not out of
    the realm of possibility.) But then, who really is at fault in my case?

    I *had* access. I *updated*. Access *broke*. Pretty clear dontcha
    think?

    These were the updates (in no order):

    KB899587
    KB896727
    KB896423
    KB899588
    KB899591
    KB893756

    Also, it is not like MS has a great record regarding updates. Updates
    have boken Windows before.

    P.S.

    Which clusters a program resides in on a drive has nothing to do with
    how that program interacts with the OS when that program runs.
    Absolutely nothing.

    No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
    corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
    > unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
    > computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
    > togather!!

    Thanks, seems like that worked. Only time will tell.. Been struggling with
    this one for 7 days now.
    Can't thank you enough!

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

    > No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
    > corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    Looks like it still locks up.

    "Andy" wrote:

    > Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
    > unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
    > computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
    > togather!!

    Try removing the Software Distribution Service 2.0 update.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> writes:
    >No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
    >corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.

    Is there going to be any official announcement from Microsoft on this?

    I have them set for "let me know when they are available" but when I
    clicked on "ok update" that simply disappeared and I had to go and try
    twice manually to get them to install, the new verification process
    seemed to have some problems trying to complete.

    Then Microsoft withdrew some of the updates, changed some of them,
    and then put them back. But if I check for any updates now it says
    there is nothing to change.

    Seems like there should be an official statement about this somewhere.

    >--
    >Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    >http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >Protect your PC
    >http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

    >"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
    >> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
    >> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
    >> togather!!

    There's a blog I haven't bothered to keep the URL of, sorry.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:34:59 -0500, Don Taylor wrote:

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> writes:
    >>No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
    >>corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.
    >
    > Is there going to be any official announcement from Microsoft on this?
    >
    > I have them set for "let me know when they are available" but when I
    > clicked on "ok update" that simply disappeared and I had to go and try
    > twice manually to get them to install, the new verification process
    > seemed to have some problems trying to complete.
    >
    > Then Microsoft withdrew some of the updates, changed some of them,
    > and then put them back. But if I check for any updates now it says
    > there is nothing to change.
    >
    > Seems like there should be an official statement about this somewhere.
    >
    >>--
    >>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >>Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    >>http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >>Protect your PC
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
    >

    >>"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
    >>> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
    >>> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
    >>> togather!!

    Wrong, people. It's not these KB updates. I have these and
    all is well. XP home on box 2, and XP pro SP2 on box 1 (used
    for main networking).

    Check your defrag and disk tuneup reports for problems. If
    the drive is more than 20% fragmented, you could have
    application errors, causing "no network access" for
    browsing. I've had that before.
    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
    which describe him in the last days.
    Is your quality found on this list??

    See also http://www.castalk.com/ftopic8926.html

    berthman wrote:

    > See also http://www.castalk.com/ftopic8926.html

    I'm not sure what "augus" means ("August"?), but no. All my Windows
    machines are beautifully behaved. And I don't want to go to the link.
    Tell us what problems you are having after you go here for help in
    making a good newsgroup post:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Malke
    --