Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Did your computer start to freeze or lock up since august ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 17, 2005 5:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
togather!!
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:15:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Andy wrote:
> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
> togather!!

Yes it sort of did for me. And clearly the culprit *was* Windows
Update.

I just updated the latest 6 critical KB's, re-booted, and now I can not
browse the WWW. Networking is fine. Just no WEB.

Un-installing each KB and re-booting between each one (just in case) --
Nope. Still screwed.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:29:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Lester Stiefel wrote:
> Wrong, people. It's not these KB updates. I have these and
> all is well. XP home on box 2, and XP pro SP2 on box 1 (used
> for main networking).
>
> Check your defrag and disk tuneup reports for problems. If
> the drive is more than 20% fragmented, you could have
> application errors, causing "no network access" for
> browsing. I've had that before.

Ah, the fragmentation myth is alive and well I see....

For this "people", I updated, installing the 6 latest fixes, re-boot,
then no network access.

It is fairly easy to mis-apply a network setting, or to configure the
TCP/IP settings wrong, and some programs can cause that... but
Microsoft's Update clearly was the source of the problem for me.

Now, that is not to say that previously some application "was not being
nice" and munged something, and XP just "let is slide" and now that I
"updated" XP decided to "be strict" and so therefore I now have no
Internet access. (Which is pretty far-fetched but certainly not out of
the realm of possibility.) But then, who really is at fault in my case?

I *had* access. I *updated*. Access *broke*. Pretty clear dontcha
think?

These were the updates (in no order):

KB899587
KB896727
KB896423
KB899588
KB899591
KB893756

Also, it is not like MS has a great record regarding updates. Updates
have boken Windows before.

P.S.

Which clusters a program resides in on a drive has nothing to do with
how that program interacts with the OS when that program runs.
Absolutely nothing.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:34:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CDD37EA9-D5EA-4751-A736-162DE2E7664D@microsoft.com...
> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
> togather!!
August 17, 2005 8:34:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks, seems like that worked. Only time will tell.. Been struggling with
this one for 7 days now.
Can't thank you enough!

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
> corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
August 17, 2005 8:34:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Looks like it still locks up.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:06:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Andy" wrote:

> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
> togather!!



Try removing the Software Distribution Service 2.0 update.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:34:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> writes:
>No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
>corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.

Is there going to be any official announcement from Microsoft on this?

I have them set for "let me know when they are available" but when I
clicked on "ok update" that simply disappeared and I had to go and try
twice manually to get them to install, the new verification process
seemed to have some problems trying to complete.

Then Microsoft withdrew some of the updates, changed some of them,
and then put them back. But if I check for any updates now it says
there is nothing to change.

Seems like there should be an official statement about this somewhere.

>--
>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>http://www.fjsmjs.com
>Protect your PC
>http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


>"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>news:CDD37EA9-D5EA-4751-A736-162DE2E7664D@microsoft.com...
>> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
>> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
>> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
>> togather!!
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:15:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There's a blog I haven't bothered to keep the URL of, sorry.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
news:lbCdnYkZiL0OJp7eRVn-hg@scnresearch.com...
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> writes:
>>No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
>>corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.
>
> Is there going to be any official announcement from Microsoft on this?
>
> I have them set for "let me know when they are available" but when I
> clicked on "ok update" that simply disappeared and I had to go and try
> twice manually to get them to install, the new verification process
> seemed to have some problems trying to complete.
>
> Then Microsoft withdrew some of the updates, changed some of them,
> and then put them back. But if I check for any updates now it says
> there is nothing to change.
>
> Seems like there should be an official statement about this somewhere.
>
>>--
>>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>>http://www.fjsmjs.com
>>Protect your PC
>>http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>
>
>>"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>news:CDD37EA9-D5EA-4751-A736-162DE2E7664D@microsoft.com...
>>> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time.
>>> Even
>>> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
>>> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
>>> togather!!
>
>
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:02:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:34:59 -0500, Don Taylor wrote:

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> writes:
>>No problem here, but I got them several days later. Some problems with
>>corrupted files existed initially. Try reinstalling from Windows Update.
>
> Is there going to be any official announcement from Microsoft on this?
>
> I have them set for "let me know when they are available" but when I
> clicked on "ok update" that simply disappeared and I had to go and try
> twice manually to get them to install, the new verification process
> seemed to have some problems trying to complete.
>
> Then Microsoft withdrew some of the updates, changed some of them,
> and then put them back. But if I check for any updates now it says
> there is nothing to change.
>
> Seems like there should be an official statement about this somewhere.
>
>>--
>>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>>http://www.fjsmjs.com
>>Protect your PC
>>http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>
>
>>"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>news:CDD37EA9-D5EA-4751-A736-162DE2E7664D@microsoft.com...
>>> Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
>>> unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
>>> computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
>>> togather!!

Wrong, people. It's not these KB updates. I have these and
all is well. XP home on box 2, and XP pro SP2 on box 1 (used
for main networking).

Check your defrag and disk tuneup reports for problems. If
the drive is more than 20% fragmented, you could have
application errors, causing "no network access" for
browsing. I've had that before.
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
which describe him in the last days.
Is your quality found on this list??
September 10, 2005 12:40:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

berthman wrote:

> See also http://www.castalk.com/ftopic8926.html

I'm not sure what "augus" means ("August"?), but no. All my Windows
machines are beautifully behaved. And I don't want to go to the link.
Tell us what problems you are having after you go here for help in
making a good newsgroup post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!