PLEASE HELP!Wires-Only Broadband

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Sorry this is in completely the wrong category but i wanted it to be read :smile: .
I am setting up ADSL broadband for my parents on a wires-only service (probably freedom2surf-i am in the uk)and i just want to make sure i know exactly what i am doing because i am not so great when it comes to networking.
They have two computers so they want it set up on both.I would be grateful if anyone could answer the questions i have.Here is a list of the things i have established that i need:
ADSL Modem
Router
2 NICs
Network Cables
Microfilters

Is there anything i have missed?
Do i need microfilters for every phone socket in the house or just the one that the modem is plugging into(they have two phones)?
Do i just connect both computers into the router via the NICs and then connect the modem into the router as well?Most of the modems seem to have a usb interface so i don't quite understand how i should do that.
Thanks in advance for any help :smile: .

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 05/30/03 03:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I probably don't have many good answers because I've never done this and only know about it in theory, and might not be too accurate at that, but from what I understand you have two options:

Option one is to hook a USB ADSL modem into one of the PCs directly and then connect that PC to the other PC over a network and allow internet sharing. (Or something like that.)

Option two is to get something like a nifty internet appliance/firewall/router box with the ADSL modem built in. Then you just network both of your PCs into that thing and violla, instant shared and protected ADSL connection.

You could also use a wireless LAN to replace the wired LAN. I have a friend who went that route and was incredibly happy with the results. He used a wireless firewalled appliance router thing to maintain the hub, so he never had to wire the PCs to the modem, which is cool, and it has some nice security features and all that for the wireless network, which is also cool.

Anywho, that's all I know, which admittedly isn't much as you can probably tell by just the lingo alone. :) Good luck though. Hopefully someone wiser will swoop in with a killer reply to help you.

<font color=purple><pre><b>There are 10 types of people in this world: those who can understand binary and those who can't.</b></pre><p></font color=purple>

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Install Microfilters on every phone jack in the house that has a phone except for the line that the ADSL is coming from > ADSL phone line to the uplink on the Router > Router to the two different NICS on each of the computers. > Setup the NIC properties on each of the computers. and you are done

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks for the help guys :smile: .
Do i need to get a modem with an RJ45 interface in order to connect it to the router?how do i do it if it only has usb?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Any respectible company (unlike AOL)doesnt have a USB interface on their DSL modems. If it does have a USB interface all you have to do is ( i might be wrong here) is connect the USB modem to one of the computers > then from the NIC take the CAT5 cable and plug it into the Uplink on the router > and then on the computer connect the other CAT5 cable to one of the ports on the router

Try to get a Modem( if the ISP isnt suppling one or if they are) with the Ethernet port. The USB interface slows down the whole process.

Mike

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DjKlown on 05/30/03 05:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
i am getting the modem myself because isps always overcharge massively for them,so i will look carefully for ones with RJ45 connections,since that way sounds easier.thanks again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because I have a lot of NICs laying around, I would simply install two of them in one box, hook one to the ADSL modem through a standard cable, and the other to the next PC via a crossover cable. No router needed, you're using the first PC as a gateway.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks-that could save some cash.Are there any benefits of having a router which i would miss out on by doing that?Would it be worth getting a software firewall?If i wanted to add a third computer, could i do so by just adding another NIC to either of the other two?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
It is cheaper in the long run to get the router. In terms of the cost of electricity the routers run at ~20w compared to ~200w+ for a computer that is always on. Especially since I’ve seen deals like <A HREF="http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=295106&pfp=BROWSE" target="_new">this</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...