Is it possible with Windows XP sp 2 to print out all, or part, of the
contents of hard disk C:? That is a tree showing folders, sub folders and
files. I recall being able to do something like this with a DOS v 2
command about a hundred years ago. I appreciate that a full 80GB disk would
require a lot of printing. Any ideas anyone?

Gordo

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Fortissima wrote:
> Is it possible with Windows XP sp 2 to print out all, or part, of the
> contents of hard disk C:? That is a tree showing folders, sub
> folders and files. I recall being able to do something like this
> with a DOS v 2 command about a hundred years ago. I appreciate that a
> full 80GB disk would require a lot of printing. Any ideas anyone?

Using the command line from the root directory:
dir /s > dirall.txt

Hello,

How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

How to add the print directory feature to Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q272623

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Fortissima wrote:
> Is it possible with Windows XP sp 2 to print out all, or part, of the
> contents of hard disk C:? That is a tree showing folders, sub folders and
> files. I recall being able to do something like this with a DOS v 2
> command about a hundred years ago. I appreciate that a full 80GB disk would
> require a lot of printing. Any ideas anyone?

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Check out Karen's Directory Printer:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

Don

"Fortissima" <fortissima@dccnet.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible with Windows XP sp 2 to print out all, or part, of the
> contents of hard disk C:? That is a tree showing folders, sub folders and
> files. I recall being able to do something like this with a DOS v 2
> command about a hundred years ago. I appreciate that a full 80GB disk
> would require a lot of printing. Any ideas anyone?

TRENDING THREADS