Sign in with
Your question

Getting new laptop, help!

Last response: in CPUs
May 31, 2003 2:36:17 AM

Hey everyone, I am currently looking at buying a new laptop before I go into university. I plan to spend about $1400US on the notebook and I'd like to be able to play some games on it. I am having truble decideing P4m or Athlone mobile xp processors (or maybe a regular P4) Opinions and help would be very appericated.

Thanks again

More about : laptop

a b à CPUs
May 31, 2003 7:37:25 AM

If you want to play games on a laptop, you need more "serious" help. Best advice is to get a cheap old laptop for portability (taking notes, doing homework) for around $400, and spend the other grand on a top notch desktop.

I can help you maintain a compact sized desktop system for your dorm that still uses real performance parts, if you like.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
May 31, 2003 1:23:59 PM

Just a wild guess here, but won´t there be a new Pentium-M (Banias/Centrino) introduced next week? (the 1.7Ghz or so?)

Now hold on: I´m not suggesting you buy the 1.7Ghz. I´m suggesting that maybe we´ll be seeing some price cuts from Intel within a week or so on the whole line: 1.4, 1.5, 1.6... don´t know if that interests you. Centrino´s problem is that, although Banias was designed excellently, it is also expensive. I don´t quite know if you can get a centrino with a respectable video card for under $1400... Anyone know any prices out there?

Also, I understand Crashman´s point there... if you go laptop for games, you´ll be paying lots of cash for less performance than a reasonably-priced desktop...
Related resources
May 31, 2003 6:19:51 PM

Yes, the 1.7GHz Banias is scheduled to be released in the next week or two, so if you are going for a Pentium-M / Centrino solution, definitely wait 3 weeks or so for the prices to drop.

Whether you are looking for Gaming ability or portability I would suggest that you go for a Pentium-M solution, in particular the Dell Latitude D800 (which is not only equiped with the P-M 1.6GHz and 15.4" WUXGA Wide Screen, it includes the GeForce 4 Go 4200) which is the only notebook to score above 10000 3DMarks in 3DMark 2001. Even the Toshiba with the GeForce FX 5600 only scores around 8000 in 3DMark 2001 - and around 2000 in 3DMark 2003.

But in terms of CPU, I would definitely not look at AMD if you want your machine for gaming (dont get me wrong, I would never put anything BUT an AthlonXP in a desktop computer, but with notebooks it is a different story - there is simply a lack of decent chipsets and notebook graphics solutions for it to be a feasable option).

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
May 31, 2003 7:19:24 PM

Quote:
dont get me wrong, I would never put anything BUT an AthlonXP in a desktop computer

Let me put this quite simply: "?" :smile:
May 31, 2003 8:11:38 PM

I would only ever put an AMD CPU in a desktop computer, but notebooks are a different matter.

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
!