toolbar missing

in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit view etc
is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go. helllp!!

--
robert b
14 answers Last reply

    Hi Robert,

    Not sure but I wonder if you've got IE into fullscreen mode. In IE if you
    have the usual three little boxes in top right of your screen try clicking on
    the middle one (the one between the - and x). If that sorts out your problem
    then with the menu bar restored if you go to "View" you'll find "Full Screen"
    at the bottom of its drop down menue - you might have an icon for it in one
    of the other bars and maybe clicked on one place or the other. If this
    doesn't help then it's beyond me I'm afraid.

    -- :) Albert.

    "robert b" wrote:

    > in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit view etc
    > is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go. helllp!!
    >
    > --
    > robert b

    thanks, but it's gone in both fullscreen and not fullscreen. i read somewhere
    about clicking on the view button and restoring defaults, but the view button
    is on the bar that's not there!
    --
    robert b

    "Albert" wrote:

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > Not sure but I wonder if you've got IE into fullscreen mode. In IE if you
    > have the usual three little boxes in top right of your screen try clicking on
    > the middle one (the one between the - and x). If that sorts out your problem
    > then with the menu bar restored if you go to "View" you'll find "Full Screen"
    > at the bottom of its drop down menue - you might have an icon for it in one
    > of the other bars and maybe clicked on one place or the other. If this
    > doesn't help then it's beyond me I'm afraid.
    >
    > -- :) Albert.
    >

    > "robert b" wrote:
    >
    > > in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit view etc
    > > is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go. helllp!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > robert b

    Hi Robert,

    Only other thing I can suggest is if you haven't done any major installs or
    uninstalls or the like recently try a System Restore ( Start > Programs >
    Accessories > System Tools - its the bottom one on the drop down menue, when
    the calendar thing opens choose the most recent date in bold and the latest
    point if more than one appears in the panel for when you remember everything
    seeming ok). NB: Some have said System Restore gave them more problems than
    they had, others have said it solved their particular problems, I've only
    ever used it on my system three times in the last few years but it sorted the
    problems each time ok.
    :) Albert.

    "robert b" wrote:

    > thanks, but it's gone in both fullscreen and not fullscreen. i read somewhere
    > about clicking on the view button and restoring defaults, but the view button
    > is on the bar that's not there!
    > --
    > robert b
    >

    > "Albert" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Robert,
    > >
    > > Not sure but I wonder if you've got IE into fullscreen mode. In IE if you
    > > have the usual three little boxes in top right of your screen try clicking on
    > > the middle one (the one between the - and x). If that sorts out your problem
    > > then with the menu bar restored if you go to "View" you'll find "Full Screen"
    > > at the bottom of its drop down menue - you might have an icon for it in one
    > > of the other bars and maybe clicked on one place or the other. If this
    > > doesn't help then it's beyond me I'm afraid.
    > >
    > > -- :) Albert.
    > >

    > > "robert b" wrote:
    > >
    > > > in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit view etc
    > > > is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go. helllp!!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > robert b

    Hit your F11 key.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:97ACF463-7601-41DA-A7D0-C6B8F399CDAB@microsoft.com,
    robert b <robertb@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > thanks, but it's gone in both fullscreen and not fullscreen. i read
    > somewhere about clicking on the view button and restoring defaults, but
    > the view button is on the bar that's not there!
    > --
    > robert b
    >

    > "Albert" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Robert,
    >>
    >> Not sure but I wonder if you've got IE into fullscreen mode. In IE if you
    >> have the usual three little boxes in top right of your screen try
    >> clicking on the middle one (the one between the - and x). If that sorts
    >> out your problem then with the menu bar restored if you go to "View"
    >> you'll find "Full Screen" at the bottom of its drop down menue - you
    >> might have an icon for it in one of the other bars and maybe clicked on
    >> one place or the other. If this doesn't help then it's beyond me I'm
    >> afraid.
    >>
    >> -- :) Albert.
    >>

    >> "robert b" wrote:
    >>
    >>> in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit
    >>> view etc is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go.
    >>> helllp!!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> robert b

    Oops. Forgot one.

    Right click the toolbar and select Menu Bar.

    The Menu Bar has:
    File
    Edit
    View
    Favorites
    Tools
    Help

    --

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:12:18 -0700, robert b wrote:

    > thanks, but it's gone in both fullscreen and not fullscreen. i read somewhere
    > about clicking on the view button and restoring defaults, but the view button
    > is on the bar that's not there!

    Try Alt+spacebar. Then select the option for maximize then
    any other mode and see what happens. With fulltime
    fullscreen without menus, its kind of hard to say what could
    be causing that.
    Try looking on one of the windows help sites from our MVPs.
    They might post some of the addresses later, just sift
    through these messages and try these and look for related
    info.
    I haven't had this problem so really can't help much here.
    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

    Alt + V will open the View menu where you can uncheck Full Screen.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1eh19p7408t0k.94w0xz8extik$.dlg@40tude.net,
    Lester Stiefel <les7954@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:12:18 -0700, robert b wrote:
    >
    >> thanks, but it's gone in both fullscreen and not fullscreen. i read
    >> somewhere about clicking on the view button and restoring defaults, but
    >> the view button is on the bar that's not there!
    >
    > Try Alt+spacebar. Then select the option for maximize then
    > any other mode and see what happens. With fulltime
    > fullscreen without menus, its kind of hard to say what could
    > be causing that.
    > Try looking on one of the windows help sites from our MVPs.
    > They might post some of the addresses later, just sift
    > through these messages and try these and look for related
    > info.
    > I haven't had this problem so really can't help much here.
    > --
    > Lester Stiefel
    > In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
    > which describe him in the last days.
    > Is your quality found on this list??

    thanks so much for everybody's help, but i still have no toolbar.
    for some reason my sytem restore isn't working. it is on, and gives me reset
    points, but when i click "next" the second time the hourglass comes on for
    fraction of a second, then goes away and nothing happens.
    f11 doen't do anything
    right click on most of the bar does nothing menu bar never shows. if i right
    click on the very top allows me to minimize and maximize but still no toolbar
    alt space lets me minimize and max but no toolbar
    alt v makes a dinging sound, but nothing happens

    yup, im a little frustrated i really need that toolbar sometimes!!!
    --
    robert b

    "robert b" wrote:

    > in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit view etc
    > is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go. helllp!!
    >
    > --
    > robert b

    Hi Robert,

    Manual Fix:

    Go to: Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

    There are 3 sub keys: Explorer, ShellBrowser, WebBrowser

    In each of these sub-keys is the entry for ITBarLayout

    Choose the relavent sub-key and right click where it says ITBarLayout and
    select Delete.
    The deleted value will automatically be recreated for you.

    Automated Fix:

    Address Bar Missing: Click Start, Run and type REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL,
    Reboot

    If the first option doesn't solve it, use my small utility:

    Restore/Repair Toolbars in IE and/or Windows Explorer (Line 3)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "robert b" <robertb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > thanks so much for everybody's help, but i still have no toolbar.
    > for some reason my sytem restore isn't working. it is on, and gives me
    > reset
    > points, but when i click "next" the second time the hourglass comes on for
    > fraction of a second, then goes away and nothing happens.
    > f11 doen't do anything
    > right click on most of the bar does nothing menu bar never shows. if i
    > right
    > click on the very top allows me to minimize and maximize but still no
    > toolbar
    > alt space lets me minimize and max but no toolbar
    > alt v makes a dinging sound, but nothing happens
    >
    > yup, im a little frustrated i really need that toolbar sometimes!!!
    > --
    > robert b
    >

    > "robert b" wrote:
    >
    >> in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit view
    >> etc
    >> is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go. helllp!!
    >>
    >> --
    >> robert b

    Kelly, You have an incredible web site, thanks for trying to help...but
    first i was easily able to get to the 3 sukeys, but in none of them does it
    say ITBarLayout. explorer has one thing inside- ab (default) REG_S2
    value not set
    and the other 2 have this plus someREG_Binary things and a bunch of letters
    and numbers
    the automated try just says module cannot be found
    so i downloaded the EXE and VBS solution off your site, both load quicly
    and in a fraction of a second say its been repaired. but no change, even
    after rebooting.
    how screwed am i ?
    --
    robert b

  12. kelly said:

    Hi Robert,

    Manual Fix:

    Go to: Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

    There are 3 sub keys: Explorer, ShellBrowser, WebBrowser

    In each of these sub-keys is the entry for ITBarLayout

    Choose the relavent sub-key and right click where it says ITBarLayout and
    select Delete.
    The deleted value will automatically be recreated for you.

    Automated Fix:

    Address Bar Missing: Click Start, Run and type REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL,
    Reboot

    If the first option doesn't solve it, use my small utility:

    Restore/Repair Toolbars in IE and/or Windows Explorer (Line 3)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "robert b" <robertb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > thanks so much for everybody's help, but i still have no toolbar.
    > for some reason my sytem restore isn't working. it is on, and gives me
    > reset
    > points, but when i click "next" the second time the hourglass comes on for
    > fraction of a second, then goes away and nothing happens.
    > f11 doen't do anything
    > right click on most of the bar does nothing menu bar never shows. if i
    > right
    > click on the very top allows me to minimize and maximize but still no
    > toolbar
    > alt space lets me minimize and max but no toolbar
    > alt v makes a dinging sound, but nothing happens
    >
    > yup, im a little frustrated i really need that toolbar sometimes!!!
    > --
    > robert b
    >

    > "robert b" wrote:
    >
    >> in internet explorer and other programs the whole bar with file edit view
    >> etc
    >> is gone! i tried right clicking, moving thing etc and no go. helllp!!
    >>
    >> --
    >> robert b
  13. Kelly's answer to robert is right.
    Deleting ITBar Layount makes the toolbar be back to windows explorer.
    Try that if you still haven't recovered it.
  14. Quote:
    Kelly's answer to robert is right.
    Deleting ITBar Layount makes the toolbar be back to windows explorer.
    Try that if you still haven't recovered it.

    i have the same issue and i have deleted the reg keys for both ie and explorer and still no tool bar, i intend to try the automated fix and the regsvr fix tomorrow.

    a bit of extra info, where the tool bar should be i have a white bar that goes across the window, whether it is small or maximized,(no i am not in full screen mode), and in the middle of this white bar is a windows icon. Also, when i hit alt f or alt v i get no response what so ever so i cant even access the tools, its as if the functionality has been deleted.

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP