Windows Explorer search crashes with DEP error

In our company, windows is set to automatically update. After the last
round of updates last Thursday, some of our PCs (15 so far out of 400
with possibly more unreported) are crashing anytime they execute the
Search function from the Start Menu with a DEP error preceding. Each
of these machines is XP w/ SP2. Due to the mass use of these machines,
we have yet to be able to go through and determine which update (if
that is indeed the case) is causing this problem.

The error log just shows an epplication hang with Explorer.exe.

In two separate cases we were able to fix the issue. 1. System
Restore to the dy before the updates were made. The problem is back
now, though I am unsure if the updates have been reinstalled. 2.
Modified the boot.ini file to Completely Turn Off DEP. Rebooted, it
worked fine until this afternoon. Boot.ini is still AlwaysOff, but the
error still occurs.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get to these machines and see which if any
updates are causing this. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas what
may be causing this?
1 answer Last reply
More about windows explorer search crashes error

    You might try the hotfix for IE with xp SP2,the nos is:892052 You'll need to
    get this from a call to microsoft.

    "nathancarlblom@gmail.com" wrote:

    > In our company, windows is set to automatically update. After the last
    > round of updates last Thursday, some of our PCs (15 so far out of 400
    > with possibly more unreported) are crashing anytime they execute the
    > Search function from the Start Menu with a DEP error preceding. Each
    > of these machines is XP w/ SP2. Due to the mass use of these machines,
    > we have yet to be able to go through and determine which update (if
    > that is indeed the case) is causing this problem.
    >
    > The error log just shows an epplication hang with Explorer.exe.
    >
    > In two separate cases we were able to fix the issue. 1. System
    > Restore to the dy before the updates were made. The problem is back
    > now, though I am unsure if the updates have been reinstalled. 2.
    > Modified the boot.ini file to Completely Turn Off DEP. Rebooted, it
    > worked fine until this afternoon. Boot.ini is still AlwaysOff, but the
    > error still occurs.
    >
    > Hopefully tomorrow I can get to these machines and see which if any
    > updates are causing this. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas what
    > may be causing this?

Windows Explorer Windows XP