Disk Check

In running Norton Utilities and Disk Check, I found many unreadable sectors
on one of my slave drives. I think it is going bad so I thought I might
reformat it and see if that helps before I spend big money for the repair
shop. I just don't remember how to reformat a disk from my dos days. Any
help or other suggestions on how to correct my problem. I'm running XP sp2
Home Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about disk check

    Youre going about that in the wrong way...Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press
    enter key for password,then type:CHKDSK D: /R In repair,instead of /p for
    Fix,xp tries to repair damaged sectors.When thru type:EXIT This can/could
    also be done in IE,disk properties,tools,repair sectors.Also,D: being the
    drive
    to repair.

    "JohnRWeis" wrote:

    > In running Norton Utilities and Disk Check, I found many unreadable sectors
    > on one of my slave drives. I think it is going bad so I thought I might
    > reformat it and see if that helps before I spend big money for the repair
    > shop. I just don't remember how to reformat a disk from my dos days. Any
    > help or other suggestions on how to correct my problem. I'm running XP sp2
    > Home Thanks

    Do not trust Norton Utilities to analyze/repair any disk drive used with
    Windows XP. First use the native Chkdsk. If it finds errors - backup
    the data and run Chkdsk /F. As an additional check visit the drive
    vendor's website. They will have a bootable diagnostic you can run on
    the drive to test both it's electronics (Controller board) and the actual
    drive platter surfaces. NU is a carryover tool originally created for the
    9X/ME versions of Windows and in my opinion has no value to users
    running Windows XP.

    "JohnRWeis" <JohnRWeis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In running Norton Utilities and Disk Check, I found many unreadable
    > sectors
    > on one of my slave drives. I think it is going bad so I thought I might
    > reformat it and see if that helps before I spend big money for the repair
    > shop. I just don't remember how to reformat a disk from my dos days. Any
    > help or other suggestions on how to correct my problem. I'm running XP
    > sp2
    > Home Thanks

    John

    The sooner you remove Norton Utilities, the better.. use XP native stuff as
    already suggested..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "JohnRWeis" <JohnRWeis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In running Norton Utilities and Disk Check, I found many unreadable
    > sectors
    > on one of my slave drives. I think it is going bad so I thought I might
    > reformat it and see if that helps before I spend big money for the repair
    > shop. I just don't remember how to reformat a disk from my dos days. Any
    > help or other suggestions on how to correct my problem. I'm running XP
    > sp2
    > Home Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP