Disk Check

August 17, 2005 7:04:02 PM

In running Norton Utilities and Disk Check, I found many unreadable sectors
on one of my slave drives. I think it is going bad so I thought I might
reformat it and see if that helps before I spend big money for the repair
shop. I just don't remember how to reformat a disk from my dos days. Any
help or other suggestions on how to correct my problem. I'm running XP sp2
Home Thanks

More about : disk check

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:39:06 PM

Youre going about that in the wrong way...Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press
enter key for password,then type:CHKDSK D: /R In repair,instead of /p for
Fix,xp tries to repair damaged sectors.When thru type:EXIT This can/could
also be done in IE,disk properties,tools,repair sectors.Also,D: being the
drive
to repair.

"JohnRWeis" wrote:

> In running Norton Utilities and Disk Check, I found many unreadable sectors
> on one of my slave drives. I think it is going bad so I thought I might
> reformat it and see if that helps before I spend big money for the repair
> shop. I just don't remember how to reformat a disk from my dos days. Any
> help or other suggestions on how to correct my problem. I'm running XP sp2
> Home Thanks
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:11:07 PM

Do not trust Norton Utilities to analyze/repair any disk drive used with
Windows XP. First use the native Chkdsk. If it finds errors - backup
the data and run Chkdsk /F. As an additional check visit the drive
vendor's website. They will have a bootable diagnostic you can run on
the drive to test both it's electronics (Controller board) and the actual
drive platter surfaces. NU is a carryover tool originally created for the
9X/ME versions of Windows and in my opinion has no value to users
running Windows XP.

"JohnRWeis" <JohnRWeis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In running Norton Utilities and Disk Check, I found many unreadable
> sectors
> on one of my slave drives. I think it is going bad so I thought I might
> reformat it and see if that helps before I spend big money for the repair
> shop. I just don't remember how to reformat a disk from my dos days. Any
> help or other suggestions on how to correct my problem. I'm running XP
> sp2
> Home Thanks
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:50:23 PM

John

The sooner you remove Norton Utilities, the better.. use XP native stuff as
already suggested..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User