Sign in with
Your question

System Restart prob

Last response: in CPUs
June 1, 2003 12:01:08 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a system restart problem that is a little bit different than those I have read in the past. I have an Asus A7V333 and an XP 2100+ The problem is, all of a sudden, whenever I bump the desk the computer is sitting on or if I hit my keyboard, the computer restarts. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

More about : system restart prob

June 1, 2003 1:15:17 AM

Check your Cables, it could be a lose IDE cable. Or maybe your memory is not seated correctly in its socket, possably the CPU also.

"The Needs Of The Many Outweigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One"
-Spock<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steven21 on 05/31/03 06:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 1, 2003 1:54:44 AM

Or a loose power connection.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Related resources
June 1, 2003 4:49:01 PM

checked everything and there are no loose connections. I did notice something weird, the computer, in the last day or so, began restarting after a very short time when I started the computer. Strangely, when I started the comp this morning, the Asus voice alert warned that "CPU failed due to overclocking". I never overclocked the CPU. Furthermore, the CPU isnt even unlocked, so I am kind of unsure as to what is going on. After I reset the CPU speed, it seems to be way more stable. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
June 2, 2003 3:06:00 AM

I'm sure you have some psu like an enermax 400 and not a 300 watt generic that is dying, but thought I'd check.
June 2, 2003 8:33:05 PM

Quote:
I have a system restart problem that is a little bit different than those I have read in the past. I have an Asus A7V333 and an XP 2100+ The problem is, all of a sudden, whenever I bump the desk the computer is sitting on or if I hit my keyboard, the computer restarts. Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, don't bump the desk that the computer is sitting on or hit your keyboard.

:-p

Sorry, but I <i>had</i> to say it.

Seriously though, I had a problem like that once with my PC at work and it turned out that the case was bent slightly so that my AGP card wasn't fitting quite far enough into the slot. :(  So a few bashings on the case later and violla, the AGP card would seat properly again. :) 

But basically, it sounds like something just isn't seated right. It could be a card. It could be a power cable. I'd suggest tearing the whole system apart and rebuilding it (or having a professional do it for you) while making absolutely certain that everything is snug and tight.

<font color=purple><pre><b>There are 10 types of people in this world: those who can understand binary and those who can't.</b></pre><p></font color=purple>
!