  • Microsoft
  • Internet
  • Windows XP
August 17, 2005 7:51:02 PM

Do i need everything checked or unchecked
in IE 6-Internet Options -Advanced Tab ?
I'm running xpsp2 , Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301
notebook ,2.0 gz. ,512 ram.

Thanks

More about : internet options advanced tab

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:59:37 PM

almost everything UN-checked

I use only these checked:

send urls as utf-8 *
close unused folders *
disable script debugging (2) *
use http 1.1
show pictures *
smart image dithering *
do not search from address bar *
use ssl 2.0
use ssl 3.0
warn about invalid certificates *
warn if forms redirect *

and those marked with * are not required.... HMMM... looks like IE
should work pretty well with everything UN-checked except for possibly
ssl 2.0
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:02:03 PM

Leave the advanced tab alone unless there's a specific need for something in
there. When in doubt, click the Restore defaults button at the bottom right
of the tabbed window.

The categories available are:
Accessibility
Browsing
HTTP 1.1
Java(Sun)
MicrosoftVM
Multimedia
Printing
Search from address bar
Security

Of these categories, printing is the only one that you can mess with without
risking a problem or two (be it operating your browser or breaking it). The
tab is called Advanced because, if you don't know what you're doing, you
could break your system.

Any questions about any of the items, just ask here.

"Bubbytheman" wrote:

> Do i need everything checked or unchecked
> in IE 6-Internet Options -Advanced Tab ?
> I'm running xpsp2 , Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301
> notebook ,2.0 gz. ,512 ram.
>
> Thanks

August 17, 2005 8:38:01 PM

Thanks for the info!

"usasma" wrote:

> Leave the advanced tab alone unless there's a specific need for something in
> there. When in doubt, click the Restore defaults button at the bottom right
> of the tabbed window.
>

> The categories available are:
> Accessibility
> Browsing
> HTTP 1.1
> Java(Sun)
> MicrosoftVM
> Multimedia
> Printing
> Search from address bar
> Security
>
> Of these categories, printing is the only one that you can mess with without
> risking a problem or two (be it operating your browser or breaking it). The
> tab is called Advanced because, if you don't know what you're doing, you
> could break your system.
>
> Any questions about any of the items, just ask here.
>
> "Bubbytheman" wrote:
>
> > Do i need everything checked or unchecked
> > in IE 6-Internet Options -Advanced Tab ?
> > I'm running xpsp2 , Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301
> > notebook ,2.0 gz. ,512 ram.
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:43:18 PM

usasma wrote:
> Leave the advanced tab alone unless there's a specific need for something in
> there.

I think that since some Browser Hijackers take advantage of settings
like:

Enable install on demand
Enable third-party extensions

And that some seem like security holes:

Allow active content to run in file on My Computer
Allow software to run if signature invalid

And that some are (to me) just annoying:

Enable visual styles
Enable image resizing
Enable profile assistant

I would say that there are specific needs. But, that's just me.
!